- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half: Use a chef's knife to cut it lengthwise from stem to tail.
- Scoop out seeds only.
- Place the squash halves cut-side down in a roasting pan.
- Pour in a little water—enough to cover the bottom (the squash will roast fine without it, but the water helps the squash steam and become more tender).
- Cook the squash for 30 - 45 minutes.
- The squash is ready when you can easily pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel.
- Scrape out the squash: Use a fork to gently pull the squash flesh from the peel and to separate into strands.
- Toss with olive oil. Makes about six servings.
TIP: Instead of cutting the squash in half, you can also roast it whole. Roast until a fork can easily pierce through the outer peel (about an hour). Slice in half and carefully remove the seeds. Then scrape the flesh as directed above.
This recipe was submitted by YMCA of Western North Carolina.