Throughout the COVID-19 crisis, the Y has worked diligently to meet the most pressing needs of the 10,000 communities we serve across the United States, especially those that have been hit hardest by the pandemic. By providing child care to essential workers and first responders, feeding families facing food insecurity, connecting with seniors who are isolated, housing people who are homeless and supporting children learning virtually, the Y has worked to make sure everyone in our communities has access to the resources they need.
Now the Y is working to ensure that everyone has equitable access to accurate information about the COVID-19 vaccines and to the vaccines themselves, especially Black and Brown communities, which have been disproportionately affected by the health and economic impacts of the virus.
Ys across the country are committed to providing vaccine education, and many have offered to serve as vaccine distribution sites. YMCA of the USA is supporting these efforts and joining several national health and community-serving organizations in distributing accurate information to our communities and calling for equitable distribution of the COVID-19 vaccines.
Below are links to expert, science-backed information about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines. We encourage you to direct your family, friends and neighbors to these information sources. We will update this page as additional resources are published.
General COVID-19 Vaccine Facts
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccine Myths and Facts
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs (incluye información en español)
- CDC Facts about COVID-19 Vaccine (printable materials available in multiple languages)
- CDC How and Where to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine
- CDC Vaccine Considerations for People with Disabilities
- CDC What You Need to Know About COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots
- Kaiser Family Foundation Key Questions about COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates
Additional Resources For Communities of Color
- Black Coalition Against COVID
- BlackDoctor.org COVID-19 Resource Center
- National Medical Association COVID-19 Task Force on Vaccines and Therapeutics
- UnidoUS COVID-19 Vaccines and Clinical Trials FAQs (incluye información en español)
Resources for Kids and Parents/Caregivers
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Getting Your Child Ready for the COVID-19 Vaccine
- American Academy of Pediatrics – The Science Behind the COVID-19 Vaccines: Parent FAQs
- BCBS – The COVID-19 Vaccine for Pre-teens and Teens FAQ
- CDC Information about COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens
- FDA Information on COVID-19 Vaccine Approval for Children 12 and Under
COVID-19 Vaccine Access Resources
- CDC How Do I Find a COVID-19 Vaccine?
- COVID-19 Vaccines at the VA
- ADA Access to COVID-19 Vaccines: Issues and Barriers for Persons with Disabilities
Equitable Vaccine Access Panel on Washington Post Live
On Friday, April 9, YMCA of the USA President and CEO Kevin Washington joined National League of Cities CEO Clarence E. Anthony for a Washington Post Live discussion focusing on the organizations’ vaccine equity and education initiative focused on the Black and Brown communities.
Y CEO and Young Leader Discuss COVID-19 Vaccines
New Jersey YMCA State Alliance CEO Darrin W. Anderson, Sr., PhD, MS recently spoke with high school student Zainab Onafowokan about how to talk to friends and family about COVID-19 vaccines as part of a series of conversations about vaccine hesitancy and misinformation.
Contact your local Y for more information on COVID-19 relief services.
Updated October 2021