1 cup neutral oil
- (avocado, canola, vegetable, etc., but not olive)
- 2 tablespoons dried chili flakes (Korean chili powder used in the video, but any chili will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat half the oil to a shimmer but not smoking.
- Turn off heat, and add the chili flakes and salt. Let sit for two minutes.
- Add the other half of the oil.
- Let cool a bit, and pour everything into a jar. This keeps in the pantry for a couple months.
Extra Crispy Potatoes
- Six (6) medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into equal 1/8 chunks
- Olive oil
- Preheat a griddle or cookie sheet in a 375-degree oven.
- Parboil the peeled and cut potatoes in salted boiling water for five (5) minutes. Strain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Add about three (3) Tablespoons olive oil, and stir somewhat vigorously so the potatoes are not only coated with olive oil but also gently mashed.
- Spoon the potatoes onto the preheated griddle in the oven.
Turn the oven down to 350 degrees, and roast for 15 minutes.
- Flip and roast another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt to taste.
This is a bit intuitive of a recipe, but we've been asked for it: no ask is too small! Here you go!
- Any hearty vegetables you have on hand (clean out the crisper!)
- Any herbs you have on hand (dried versions okay, too!)
- Lemon juice
- Chili oil (see above recipe)
- Tahini (optional)
- Finely slice any hearty vegetables you have such as kale, carrots, radishes or celery.
- Chop any/all herbs you have such as parsley, cilantro, mint, tarragon and green onion greens.
- Combine all the raw veggies, greens and herbs with some salt in a bowl.
- Give the salad a squeeze, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a dressing of equal parts lemon juice, your homemade chili oil, and (optional) tahini. Include a bit of honey. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to coat liberally.
Brown Butter Fried Eggs
- Two (2) eggs
- Heat a skillet to med-high.
- Add a 1/2-to-1 Tablespoon butter for every two (2) eggs.
- When it starts to brown a bit, crack the eggs in. Add salt. If there is extra butter in the pan, baste the white part of the eggs with a spoon.
- Top with black pepper.
- You can finish the eggs by turning the heat off and putting a lid on for a few minutes.
Plate the potatoes, salad, and eggs. Enjoy openly.