- Olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- Two (2) cloves of garlic, sliced
- Four (4) sprigs of fresh rosemary, diced
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- One (1) whole peeled canned (or fresh!) tomato, diced
- One (1) 14oz can of beans (such as cannellini, kidney, and/or borlotti), with the liquid
- Dried orecchiette (little ears) pasta
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Make the sauce: heat a pot and add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the garlic to cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add the pinch of chili flakes followed by the onion, carrots, celery, and rosemary.
- Cook until soft for about ten (10) minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook on high for another minute.
- Add the beans and all of their cooking liquid from the can.
- Bring to a boil and turn all the way down to a simmer and cover.
- Cook the pasta in salty water one (1) minute less than the package instructions.
- When the pasta is just about cooked, reserve about a cup of the pasta water and strain.
- Add about a cup (or more or less!) of the pasta to the sauce and pour in enough of the pasta water to just cover the pasta in sauce (about 1/2 cup of pasta water). It should be soupy, but still a bit saucy and thick.
- Let this cook another minute to finish cooking the pasta.
Serve in bowls with parmesan cheese, black pepper, and fresh basil.