Pasta and sauce
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and 1 cup liquid reserved
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup kale, stems removed (or other greens and vegetables)
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as parley and green onions
Cook the chickpeas
- Soak at least 2 cups of dried chickpeas in plenty of water overnight.
- Drain, rinse, and cover with 2 – 3 inches of water in a large pot.
- Add a bay leaf and bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the peas are soft and creamy (45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the age of the pea). OR pressure cook for 12 minutes. (Using canned chickpeas works great, too).
Bring it all together
- In a blender, puree half of the chickpeas (1 1/2 cups) with 1 cup of the cooking liquid and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a deep skillet on medium heat and cook the garlic and rosemary for about 2 minutes or until the garlic is just starting to brown slightly.
- Add the pureed chickpeas and the rest of the whole chickpeas (another 1 1/2 cups) to the skillet, stir in the salt and pepper, cover, and reduce to warm while you make the pasta.
- Cook your rigatoni in salted water 1 minute less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, make a raw salad by thinly slicing the kale (or any other fresh green or vegetable such as celery) and herbs.
- In a bowl, mix the greens with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. This will add the needed brightness to this recipe.
- In the skillet, combine the creamy chickpea sauce and the cooked pasta with a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
- Bring the heat back up a bit and stir gently for a minute until the sauce is coating the pasta and the chickpeas start finding their way into the rigatoni.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls topped with the zesty greens and herbs salad.