For the sieved eggs
- 2 eggs, boiled for 9 minutes and shocked in an ice bath
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 shallot or 1 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the mayo toasts
- 3 – 4 slices of bread
For the pan steamed mushrooms
- A dozen or so crimini mushrooms, stems removed (but reserve for something else later)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or other fine herb
- Pinch of salt
For the asparagus
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper and freshly chopped dill and tarragon for garnish
Make the vinaigrette
- Let the onion sit in the vinegar for about 10 – 15 minutes then whisk in all the other vinaigrette ingredients. There will be plenty left over and will last in the refrigerator for a couple weeks.
Make the toast
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of the bread slices and place mayo side down in a preheated pan.
- Spread mayo on the other side and toast until golden brown and toasty on each side.
- Chop toast into quarters or points.
Make the mushrooms
- Add olive oil to a skillet heated to medium and carefully place the mushrooms gill side up.
- Cover with a lid and cook/steam/fry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop and crush the garlic, tarragon, and salt.
- Add this mixture to a hot corner of the mushroom pan to cook the garlic mixture for 30 seconds.
- Spoon the mixture into the caps of each mushroom, cover again, and steam another 5 – 10 minutes, basting one or two more times.
Sieve the egg
- Separate the yolk and the whites.
- Into a bowl, press the whites through a strainer followed by the yolks.
Make the asparagus
- Heat a pan to high heat, add olive oil, and place the asparagus in a single layer or work in batches. This should take a few minutes. Don’t touch the asparagus until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Flip only once like a steak and cook another few minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
Put it all together
- On a plate or platter, arrange the asparagus.
- Top with the mushrooms.
- Pour or spoon some of the vinaigrette over the veggies.
- Sprinkle the sieved egg on top and add some freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange toasts and garnish with dill and more tarragon.