- 5 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 small shallot (or 1/2 larger shallot), diced
- 1 small nub of ginger, peeled and grated or pressed in a garlic press
- 1 whole lemon
- 3/4 Cup nuts such as pistachio, pecans and/or almonds
- 1/4 Cup seeds such as sunflower and sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Cups fresh chopped herbs such as parsley, cilantro, and celery leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, shallots, ginger and both zest and juice from the entire lemon.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes. The cabbage will turn into a beautiful vibrant shade of itself.
- Next, make the nut relish by dry toasting the nuts and seeds in a medium skillet, tossing often, until just toasty. (You can also roast on a sheet in a 325 oven).
- Put the toasted nuts and seeds in a spice/coffee grinder or food processor.
- While the pan is still hot, toast the coriander and cumin for a few minutes until fragrant but not burned. Add to the grinder along with the paprika and salt. Blend until the texture of chunky wet sand.
- Stir the herbs into the cabbage with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- When ready to eat, transfer the salad onto a platter or plates and top generously with the nut/seed relish.
Serve with more relish at the table.