- 1/4 cup dried French green or black lentils, rinsed
- One (1) cup water
- Neutral oil for frying
- Two (2) tablespoons sesame seed
- Two (2) tablespoons flax seeds
- One (1) tablespoon lemon juice
- One (1) teaspoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Six (6) cups lettuces, chilled
- Basil and mint for garnish
for the dressing
- Twelve (12) oz. silken tofu (must be silken)
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Two (2) tablespoons green curry paste (canned, jarred, or homemade)
- One (1) garlic clove
- One (1) teaspoon lime zest (1 lime)
- Two (2) tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)
- One (1) tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Make the lentils:
- Combine the lentils and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water, then scatter on paper towels to dry.
- Pour the oil to a depth of one (1) inch in a small saucepan on medium-high heat.
- When the oil shimmers, carefully sprinkle in the lentils (make sure they’re dry first!).
- Fry the lentils for about five (5) minutes or until the bubbling stops.
- Scoop out the lentils with a slotted spoon or drain through a strainer over a bowl.
- Set aside.
Toast the seeds:
- Heat a skillet to medium heat.
- Add the sesame and flax seeds, tossing often for a few minutes until the seeds start popping for a minute.
- Turn off heat and let sit in the pan while you make the dressing.
Make the dressing:
- In a blender, combine all of the dressing ingredients until smooth. (There will be plenty left over to be creative with later).
Assemble the salad:
- Scrape 1/2 cup of the dressing into a large bowl and whisk in the lemon juice and teaspoon of olive oil.
- Drop in the lettuce leaves, a couple tablespoons of the toasted seeds, a pinch of salt, and gently toss until coated.
- Divide the salad on plates or on one large platter and sprinkle with the crispy lentils and more seeds and herbs.