- 3 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (from a 29-oz can or two 15-oz cans), drained and rinsed
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup walnuts, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork in a mixing bowl leaving some whole pieces or not.
- Add the celery, walnuts, cherries, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Gently fold in the mayo, lemon juice, and yogurt until combined into that classic texture.
- Add more salt if necessary.
- Spread the salad on bread with lettuce leaves for sandwich possibilities.