With COVID-19-related school closures and the urgency for essential workers to report to work, there is a critical need for safe child care options across the country. In response, the Y—one of the nation’s largest and most trusted providers of child care services—is offering emergency child care at more than 1,388 Ys for families of medical personnel, essential employees and first responders.
Emergency Child Care Services in Action
Below are a few examples of how Ys are responding to families and communities in need.
- YMCAs are offering emergency child care for front line workers
- Eugene YMCA in Washington offers child care for essential workers for students of 12 local schools
- YMCA of the North Shore in Massachusetts was selected by the state to provide child care to 160 kids of essential employees
- YMCA of Orange County in California is offering child care for essential employees across its 28 locations in Orange County and Pomona Valley
- Statesville YMCA in northwest North Carolina works to support the community with child care services during the pandemic