This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Assistant Camp Director will provide overall direction and management across all aspects of the camp operation and will be fully responsible for all aspects of year-round programming including the Outdoor Education (OE), group rental programs, and vacation camp programs through the respective seasons. In collaboration with the Director of Camping Services, the Assistant Director is responsible for managing the summer camp operation of a large, successful day camp program serving over 600 campers per week, including staff supervision, program quality, camper behavior management, customer satisfaction, and communications.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university specializing in Recreation Management, Outdoor Education, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years professional related experience.
- Teaching, facilitating, teambuilding experience preferred.
- Strong experience in program design, development and evaluation.
- Experience and certification in aquatics preferred.
- Experience and certification in high ropes/challenge courses preferred.
- Supervisory and staff development experience.
- Administrative experience; ability to communicate both verbally and in writing is essential.
- Team Leader Certification from YMCA of the USA preferred or may be obtained within the first two years.
- Personnel values consistent with the YMCA mission and core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Strong working knowledge of computers and all common programs such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibilities to others and support them in their endeavors as necessary.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- CPR/ First Aid Certification
- Ability and willingness to travel, work weekends, and evenings throughout the year.
- Must be willing to cross-train and assist other YMCA department and programs during the off-season.
- Oversee all outdoor education, group rentals, weddings, and birthday parties at YMCA Camp Lincoln. Responsible for staff supervision, program quality, evaluation, and budget.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Vacation Camp programs in December, February, and April including staff recruitment, program design, development, program engagement, program evaluation and budget.
- In collaboration with Director of Camping Services, develop and implement all aspects of fall Family Camp including staff recruitment, program design, and facilities preparation.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and coordinating efforts for recruitment and retention of campers, rental groups, and outdoor education groups.
- In collaboration with the Director of Camping Services, develop, implement, and coordinate all aspects of the summer camp operation including recruiting, onboarding, training and supervising seasonal staff.
- Ensure that all programs conform to American Camp Association (ACA) Standards, YMCA best practices, and state/ federal legislation.
- In collaboration with the Director of Camping Services, ensure that all facilities, property, program areas, and equipment and maintained to a high standard.
- Assist with special events, alumni relations, and fundraising campaigns.
- Be actively involved in local affairs and serve on local advisory groups and boards.
- Build positive relationships with other organizations and groups to leverage Camp Lincoln’s position and impact to our community members.
- Work with the Registration & Communication Manager and Director of Finance to ensure that all payments and contracts are processed in a timely manner.
- Assist in evaluating camp programming on a continual basis to advance mission impact and financial sustainability.
- Assist and support Director of Camping Services in all aspects of the annual camp budget (building budget, variance reports, forecasting etc.)
- Resides on site, year-round. Supports Camp need/ programming (weekends, evenings, point person for international staff).
- Assist Director of Camping Services and Facilities Director with facility’s needs, upkeep, and management to meet program needs.
- Will assist other YMCA programs during the off-season to ensure the quality of programs provided to the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgements, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an oneness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assess personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.