Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing experience for every camper?
At Camp Seymour, you get to teach kids self-reliance, a love for nature and the outdoors, and the development of attitudes and practices that build character and leadership – all amidst the fun of campfires, canoeing, archery, talent shows, and meaningful relationships.
As a Camp Unit Leader, you will live and work at Camp in a cabin. If hired for this position, you will directly supervise, support, and mentor a group of 8-12 camp counselors while organizing and implementing the overall day of camp programming. You will be responsible for overseeing the supervision and safety of campers in your unit.
- Promote a positive, inclusive environment that fosters fun, safety and our YMCA values. All whilst upholding, modeling, and enforcing camp policies, personnel policies and code of conduct.
- Assume on Duty responsibilities, run meal times, Line ups, make snack, lock up and other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with a supervisor.
- Connect with each camper quickly to make them feel welcome and included. Treat every camper with fairness and equity regardless of circumstances and abilities, making each feel good about themselves and encouraging a fun environment.
- Participate 100% with activities; enjoy playing, and not "sitting on the sidelines", being visible throughout the day, leading transition times and supervising campers.
- Evaluate and investigate individual and group situations to effectively resolve conflicts based on camp values and procedures.
- Identify and support campers who need extra help.
- Supervise staff placed in Unit; which will include coaching, teaching, modeling, reinforcing, assisting with difficult situations and correcting behavior. Establishing, communicating and positively reinforcing performance standards for staff; including mid-summer and end of summer evaluations.
- Make a conscious effort to get to know staff as individuals: interests, working styles, strengths, areas for improvement, ensuring that it is an impactful, enjoyable summer for all staff.
- Help facilitate daily programing, including overnights. Add creativity and variety to the camp program with the help of the camp director and camp staff.
- Take on additional responsibilities with a positive attitude in order to support staff, Units, or camp; these can include: supervising a cabin with campers, facilitating camp activities, standing in for Cabin Leaders at any time, and other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with a supervisor.
*This is a Residential position that includes room and board. *
Starting Wage: $390 to $460 per week, depending on qualifications
Date of Employment: June 11th - August 23rd
Location: YMCA Camp Seymour, Gig Harbor, WA
Ignite your Passion, Live the Y Cause, and Join our Team! To apply visit our website at www.ymcapkc.org.
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is committed to diversity and inclusion throughout our organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Women/Minority/Veteran/Disabled
- A commitment to valuing and promoting diversity, equity, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Minimum age of 20.
- Two summers previous camp staff experience or equivalent.
- Specialized and practical knowledge of/experience in: cabin leadership, child development, behavior management, peer leadership and supervision; staff management & motivation.
- Positive attitude and previous experience with diverse populations.
- Current First Aid and CPR for duration of the season strongly preferred. Lifeguard certification preferred.
- Able and willing to complete online Child Abuse Prevention training on first day, and other online and in-person training as required.