Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing experience for every camper?
At Camp Seymour, you get to teach kids self-reliance, a love for nature and the outdoors, and the development of attitudes and practices that build character and leadership – all amidst the fun of campfires, canoeing, archery, talent shows, and meaningful relationships.
As the Camper Support Specialist, you will work within the healthcare team and provide support to Unit Leaders for campers with special medical and behavioral needs. Provide a quality experience to campers and families and represent the YMCA and self in a professional manner of safety and fun.
- Review health histories for all campers of note, and communicate behavioral considerations of campers to appropriate staff, such as Director staff, Unit Leaders, Cabin Leaders, and Program Area staff.
- Respect campers’ right to privacy, handling personal issues sensitively and sharing information on a need-to-know basis only.
- Provide support in the event of a behavioral incident with campers, especially those with special needs or known/diagnosed behavioral disorders.
- Establish and maintain clear phone, and in person, communication with parents/guardians regarding daily check-ins, camper health, or behavioral concerns in collaboration with the Camp Director, including unit leaders and other staff as appropriate.
- Field questions from parents of campers with special behavioral needs prior to the start of their week of camp
- Assist with check in and check out. You are an integral part of the parent communication team.
- Take a leadership role during staff training to help educate staff and provide tools to successfully work with campers that need extra support.
*This is a Residential position that includes room and board.*
Starting Wage: $390 to $480 per week, depending on experience
Date of Employment: June 11th - August 23rd
Location: YMCA Camp Seymour, Gig Harbor, WA
Ignite your Passion, Live the Y Cause, and Join our Team! To apply visit our website at www.ymcapkc.org.
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is committed to diversity and inclusion throughout our organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Women/Minority/Veteran/Disabled
- A commitment to valuing and promoting diversity, equity, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Two summers previous camp staff experience or equivalent (preferred).
- Specialized and practical knowledge of/ experience in: cabin and camp leadership, teen leadership and supervision; staff management, development, and motivation.
- Outstanding ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to train, motivate, support, share insights & ideas with, and supervise staff guards and instructors; communicate openly with supervisor; organize, facilitate, and evaluate activities; support and connect with campers; perform duties as specified in job description and by supervisor; behave as an appropriate positive role model in all camp activities.
- Required: Advanced knowledge and passion for behavior management, youth development, mental health, and de-escalation tactics.
- Sensitivity to the needs of families including adults and children.
- Current first aid, CPR, and AED certifications for duration of the season strongly preferred.
- Lifeguarding certification preferred.
- Complete online Child Abuse Prevention training on first day. Complete other online and in-person training as required.