Farha Sports Complex is a top-of-the-line sports facility. Wichita is a great community with an affordable cost of living.
GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the guidance of the Senior Program/Branch Director, the Sports Director provides leadership and management for the branch in the Sports program area operations, staff, budget, fundraising, as well as the program and membership experience in accordance with all Greater Wichita YMCA policies, procedures and standards. A 40-hour work week will be necessary to accomplish the assigned duties.
- Recruiting, training, developing, scheduling and managing a high performing volunteer base focused on providing exceptional coaching for youth.
- Developing strategies to provide support and motivation to volunteers for the achievement of goals and retention.
- Responsible for documenting coaches meetings/development and trainings.
- Ensuring all volunteer have background checks.
- Effectively communicating the mission, vision and values of the Wichita YMCA.
- Ensuring all programs comply with YMCA standards and methods of operation.
- Integrating member-service and engagement strategies into all programs to ensure positive member recruitment and retention.
- Building and expanding program enrollment and participation.
- Managing registration process for all sport seasons.
- Organizing and training coaches for the formation of teams and leagues.
- Monitoring and evaluating delivery and effectiveness of programs and volunteers for the highest possible level of quality.
- Scheduling, communicating and observing all sport practices.
- Recruiting, training and scheduling all sports officials.
- Preparing for, attending and managing all game days, staff and volunteers.
- Organizing team photos and end of season awards.
- Being visible to staff and members.
- Responding to all member and community inquiries and concerns within 24 hours.
- Communicating program information, changes and needs in a timely manner to supervisor and branch staff.
- Providing written and verbal communication to all team parents and coaches for clear understanding of YMCA policies.
- Developing, monitoring and meeting or exceeding budget targets.
- Producing effective and efficient staff schedules within set payroll budget parameters.
Strong Community Campaign/Financial Development:
Providing leadership for assigned aspects of Strong Community Campaign, special events and other fund development to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Securing, scheduling and preparing athletic fields and facilities for practice and games.
- Transporting and setting-up equipment for games and practices at all sites.
- Maintaining complete familiarity with all risk management procedures and policies.
- Maintaining program area and equipment in an orderly, clean and safe condition; reporting any irregularities to maintenance personnel.
- Keeping an up to date inventory on all equipment, materials and supplies.
- Serving as a member of the branch management team, performing specific duties that support the overall success of branch operations.
- Communicating information promptly to all branch leadership and departmental staff.
- Attending applicable training and conferences to further professional development.
All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Providing leadership and guidance to ensure the achievement of goals and objectives of Sports programs with high levels of participation, satisfaction and retention of members, participants and staff.
- Minimum age of 21
- One year management experience required to include hiring, firing, reviewing, and budget
- Relevant department experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
- Complete CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, and Listen First Workshop in accordance with Conditions of Employment
- Possess a clear and complete understanding of exercise science principles, and the ability to apply those principles in a practical wellness atmosphere.
- Learn all emergency procedures and action plans for the branch
- Understand and abide-by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
- Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch; including evenings and weekends
- Must be able to routinely perform the following physical activities; climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
- Must have ability to lead and delegate to others and communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
- Must possess problem solving, organizational and task management skills; ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
- Must be detail-oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
- Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
- Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
- Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times