Tandy Family YMCA
Central Connecticut Coast YMCA
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and in accordance with Association policies, the Assistant Aquatics Director will be responsible for the sound operation of aquatic schedules and other aquatic safety-based programs. The Assistant Aquatics Director will assist in the recruiting, training, and evaluation of aquatic staff.
1. This position requires certification in ARC Lifeguarding or YMCA Lifeguarding, current CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, and Standard First Aid certifications. Previous supervisory, swim instructor, and lifeguard experience preferred; Associates degree or higher a plus.
2. Demonstrated experience providing positive leadership skills and role modeling exemplary service for other staff. The position requires dependability, strong communication skills with staff and members, and the ability to present a mature and personable image. The incumbent will exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all aspects of their work with the YMCA.
1. Assist in recruitment and training of aquatic staff.
2. Be accountable for coverage of all assigned lifeguard and/or swim instructor shifts.
3. Teach and/or guard in the absence of a scheduled lifeguard or swim instructor as necessary.
4. Coordinate substitute procedures for staff; record all changes and maintain up-to-date staff schedule.
5. Assist with leadership at all lifeguard/swim instructor in-service trainings and meetings.
6. Supervise aquatic staff in the absence of the Aquatic Director.
7. Inspect and ensure high standards of maintenance, cleanliness, and repair of aquatic equipment and supplies, including first aid supplies.
8. Ensure pool safety by enforcing pool rules and policies.
9. Meet and communicate with Aquatic Director on a weekly basis to discuss growth, development, and operation of the aquatic department.
10. Personally provide a minimum of 10-20 hours per week of direct service as a lifeguard and/or swim instructor.
11. Evening and weekend hours required, coordinate schedule with Aquatic Director. 1
2. Coordinate and schedule private swim lessons.
13. Assist Aquatic Director with special events.
14. Facilitate outreach lessons in elementary schools.
15. Facilitate scout troop events.
16. Coordinate and schedule quarterly jump and scan drills for all lifeguards, working with senior lifeguards to execute scheduled drills and maintain accurate records.
17. Use personal initiative for professional growth experience through study, and conference/training attendance.
18. Uphold and exemplify high standards of customer service. 19. Perform all other duties as assigned by the Aquatic Director.