The Behavior Specialist reports directly to the Summer Camp Director. The incumbent is responsible to lend support to the entire Summer Camp staff and structure. The Behavior Specialist is responsible to promote a safe, healthy environment within the camp by providing emotional support to campers, volunteers and staff. The Behavior Specialist is responsible for enforcing all state and licensing regulations with camp policy.
· Provides guidance, support and assistance to volunteers and staff throughout the week which includes managing camper behavior issues, stress and personal care needs.
· Process critical incidents with children and staff. When needed, communicate with parents about physical management and behavioral interventions.
· Help campers process their behavior, plan goals and set action steps to achieve these goals.
· Provides crisis intervention in the event of sudden illness and/or injury.
· Prepare and summarize behavior reports to be included in parent pickup packets.
· Record, document and file behavior reports. Follow up with camp staff as needed.
· Teach in one or more program areas, supervise recreational activities, special events and evening programs.
· Assist with cabin coverage responsibilities when not scheduled for Behavior Specialist responsibilities.
· Assist with assigned tasks during camper check-in and check-out.
· Provide support and be a role model to all campers and staff.
· Interpret and enforce safety and health regulations.
· Follow all camp policies, rules and regulations.
· Any other duties assigned that enhance any/all camp programs and the experiences of all campers and participants at YMCA Storer Camps.
EFFECTS ON END RESULT:
The Behavior Specialist is part of a staff team that will work together to provide quality camping programs in an environment that fulfills the YMCA’s mission and Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility. In addition, this team will also be accountable for working in a manner that will ensure the financial stability, which allows for future growth and development.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to plan, lead and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
There has never been a better time to join the YMCA of Greater Toledo! Our employees enjoy a diverse and inclusive environment and the opportunity to do cause-driven work to impact our communities through: helping kids succeed in school, helping people improve health and well-being, and bringing people together. If you are interested and have the skills and desire to make a difference, please continue by completing the application. Thank you for your interest in our Y!