The Arts and Crafts Specialist reports directly to the Summer Camp Director. The incumbent is responsible for lending support to the entire Summer Camp staff and structure. The Arts and Crafts Specialist is responsible for the safe operations and supervision of the Arts and Crafts program and activities. The Arts and Crafts Specialist is responsible for enforcing all state and licensing regulations with camp policy.
Must be at least 19 years of age and graduated from High School. Must have an arts or creative background, with knowledge of instructing campers and developing lesson plans. Must have a sincere desire to work with children. Must have current certifications in CPR and First Aid. Lifeguard certification is encouraged.
· Develop projects for class periods, ensuring that appropriate equipment and materials are available, and that projects are of interest to the campers.
· Set up program area during staff training and inventory and put away program materials at the conclusion of the summer.
· Conduct pre-camp orientation to the arts and crafts program for counseling staff.
· Organize and maintain the arts and crafts center.
· Schedule and teach art activities.
· Inventory supplies and complete purchase requisitions as needed.
· Compile lessons plans and leave a written record of the arts and crafts program.
· Assist with cabin coverage responsibilities when not assigned arts & crafts responsibilities.
· Provide support and be a role model to all campers and staff.
· Enforce safety and health regulations.
· Follow all camp policies, rules and regulations.
Any other duties assigned that enhance any/all camp programs and the experiences of all campers and participants at YMCA Storer Camps.
EFFECTS ON END RESULT:
The Arts and Crafts Specialist is part of a staff team that will work together to provide quality camping programs in an environment that fulfills the YMCA’s mission and Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility. In addition, this team will also be accountable for working in a manner that will ensure the financial stability, which allows for future growth and development.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to plan, lead and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
There has never been a better time to join the YMCA of Greater Toledo! Our employees enjoy a diverse and inclusive environment and the opportunity to do cause-driven work to impact our communities through: helping kids succeed in school, helping people improve health and well-being, and bringing people together. If you are interested and have the skills and desire to make a difference, please continue by completing the application. Thank you for your interest in our Y!