Advanced Director of Aquatics
Willow Grove YMCA
Sussex County Branch YMCA
YMCA of Sandusky County
Responsible for the development, implementation and administration of all aquatics programing to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. In addition, every position in the YMCA of East Tennessee is responsible for upholding the Judeo-Christian principles that are central to our mission by modeling behaviors that exemplify the Y’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent. One to two years previous supervisory experience in aquatics. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. YMCA Team Leader or higher certification preferred. Knowledge of both chlorine and saltwater systems.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or scheduled form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and /or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud. Must be able to perform within this environment.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
Frequently required to talk or hear. Occasionally required to stand, walk, sit and use hands and fingers. Occasionally required to walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl; and smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child. Must be able to pass lifeguard water test, remain alert, scan all areas of the pool with clear vision, perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for water rescue.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of members or employees of the organization.
1. Conducts and/or ensures proper maintenance of pools. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance. Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and Y health and safety regulations.
2. Assures compliance with state and local regulations. Ensures that program standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
3. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
4. Proficient in DAXKO Operations, Accounting and Engage. Ability to include program enrollment through interactions with existing and potential members. Coordinates program registration with other Program Directors on related issues.
5. Participates in the planning of the annual budget; manages and implements the approved budget for aquatics and takes appropriate action to correct variances. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programing.
6. Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill the Y’s objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
7. Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR training.
8. Assists with Program Committee meetings and in Y fundraising activities and special events.
9. Follows all Y policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
10. Other duties may be assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, COURSES
Current CPR for the PR; required for hire and must maintain certification.
O2, AED, and First Aid; required for hire and must maintain certification.
Red Cross or YMCA Lifeguarding; required for hire and must maintain certification.
Instructor Certification; required for hire or must be willing to obtain certification.
Swim Lesson Instructor; required for hire or must be willing to obtain certification.
Aquatics Management Water Exercise; required for hire or must be willing to obtain certification.
CPRO/FA Certification; required for hire and must maintain certification.
Nationally recognized Pool Operator Certification; required for hire and must maintain certification.
New Employee Orientation; required to attend before starting work, provided by the Y.
Additional training, licenses, and courses may be required throughout employment.