no section title
Outdoor fun doesn't only have to take place during the #BestSummerEver! It’s important to balance the pressures inside the classroom with opportunities for youth to play and explore the outdoors. In fact, evidence shows that time spent outdoors in green spaces reduces stress and allows kids to connect to nature and build social skills.
To help you take advantage of those beautiful fall days during school-year programming, here are some of the Y’s favorite activity ideas for school-age kids:
- Create a Nature Journal
- Build piles of leaves…and jump into them!
- Try the Principles of Flight Challenge
- Create a nature collage (remember to only pick things from the ground!)
- Try Alphabet Yoga
- Draw fall scenes with sidewalk chalk
- Take a field trip to the local park, farm or zoo
- Try Sight Word Island Hopping
- Create a leaf (or all-things nature) scavenger hunt
- Create a Pine Cone Bird Feeder
- Have a group picnic
- Enjoy outside reading time
- Create Autumn Leaf Sun Catchers
- Play Eye Spy
- Host a Parachute Challenge
- Plan, write and perform an outdoor play
- Any of these Simple Outdoor STEM Activities (only if the weather permits!)
Don’t forget to slather on the sunscreen along with those sweaters and coats!