Basketball - Girls League
Youth Recreational League
Learn to love basketball at the Y! We offer recreational basketball leagues year-round for ages 4 to 17. With a focus on safety, sportsmanship and teamwork, we provide an environment in which children can learn skills, have fun and be active. Most leagues run eight weeks, with games on Saturday and weekly practices.
At the Y, winning isn’t all about athleticism and scoring the most points. We encourage healthy competition and improving skills. Every child on the team has the opportunity to play, and we encourage them to set individual goals and cooperate with others.
Prior to forming teams, we conduct skills assessments that include fun drills and scrimmages. Our goal is to create teams that reflect a balance of age, height, skill level and gender, based on the staff’s assessment of each player. Parents may request specific practice days and times, coaches or teams. We will consider, but cannot guarantee, requests.
On or before 03/14/2020
Fall 2019 Season Important Dates:
Saturday, September 21: Mandatory Skills Assessments
- Boys 13-17; girls 15-17 at 9:30am
- Boys 9-12 at 10:30am
- Girls 10-12 and Girls 13-14 at 11:30am
- Coed 5-6, Boys 7-9 and Girls 7-9 at 12:30pm
Tuesday, September 24: Make-up Assessments
- Ages 5-6 at 5:00pm
Wednesday, September 24: Make-up Assessments
- Ages 9-17 at 5:00pm
October 1-4: First week of practice
- All practices are held at Mission Valley YMCA
Saturday, October 12: First game
Saturday, December 7: Last game
- Our sports programs are all about fun and building positive relationships. We encourage parents to support players on the sidelines and as volunteer coaches, team parents or scorekeepers. Contact Susan Gould, [email protected], to learn more about becoming a volunteer.
- Practice days and times are set by the program director. The practice day and times for each division is as follows:
- 5-6 coed (Wednesday or Thursday at 5:00pm)
- 7-9 boys (Tuesday, Wednesday at 6:00pm or Friday at 5:00pm)
- 7-9 girls (Tuesday at 5:00pm or 6:00pm
- 9-12 boys (Friday at 5:00pm or 6:00pm)
- 10-13 girls (Thursday at 5:00pm or 6:00pm)
- 13-17 boys (Friday at 7:00pm or 8:00pm)
- Uniform/equipment: Wear closed-toe shoes, comfortable clothing. The Y will provide game jerseys. You may bring a ball marked with your child’s name, but it is not required.
- Your team and program director will communicate through PLAYERSPACE, a web-based platform that provides convenient access to schedules, practice times and team information and notifications concerning schedule changes. Please ensure we have your email address on file.
- Please bring a water bottle.
- Food, drink (other than water) and chewing gum are not allowed on the court.
Questions: Contact Susan Gould at [email protected] or (619) 298-3576.
Scholarships: Thanks to the support of our generous donors and partners, financial assistance is available for sports programs. Learn more.