Gymnastics at McGrath Family YMCA
Build Strength, Skills and Confidence with Your Friends at the Y
Welcome to McGrath Family YMCA gymnastics, where toddlers to teens can grow strong, get confident, find balance and jump into fun. Based on the skills, levels and progressions developed by USA Gymnastics, our gymnasts learn in an encouraging atmosphere as they build skills to progress through each level of the program.
Location and Contacts
McGrath Family YMCA Gymnastics Center
2471 Jamacha Road
El Cajon , CA 92019
The McGrath Family YMCA is located at 12006 Campo Road, Spring Valley, CA 91978 — about one mile west of the McGrath Family YMCA Gymnastics Center. See directions
Registering for Classes
Class registration is available up to three months in advance. Classes are often full; we suggest registering 3-4 weeks in advance to ensure your child gets the class day/time you want.
Preschool Gymnastics — Ages 1 to 6
The preschool gymnastics program offers age-appropriate instruction to help children gain coordination, balance, listening, social and motor skills — all in a fun gymnastics environment.
- 1, 2 and You— Ages 1-2 (Parent/Child)
- Gymventures 2-3— Ages 2-3
- Gymventures 3-5 — Ages 3-5
- Gymventures 4-5 — Ages 4-5
- Gymventures Boys 4-5 — Age 4-5
- Supertots — Ages 4-5 (instructor approval required)
- Mini-Monarchs — Ages 4-6 (instructor approval required)
Boys Progressive Gymnastics — Ages 6-11
Boys in progressive classes will have the opportunity to use all of the men’s gymnastics apparatus: floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vault, parallel bars, and horizontal bar. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Level 1 — Ages 6-11
- Level 2 — Ages 6-11 (instructor approval required)
Girls Progressive Gymnastics
Girls enrolled in progressive classes will gain experience on each of the four women’s gymnastics apparatus: vault, uneven parallel bars, balance beam and floor exercise. Gymnasts will learn gymnastics terminology and develop strength, coordination, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Novice — Ages 6-12
- Level 1 — Ages 6-12 (instructor approval required)
- Level 2 — Ages 6-12 (instructor approval required)
- Level 3 — Ages 6-12 (instructor approval required)
- Open Gym — see schedule below
- Girls Noncompetitive — Ages 6-14
- Gymnastics for Home School
- Cheer Clinic — Ages 4-12
- Tumbling Beginner/Intermediate — Ages 6-12
- Tumbling Advanced — Ages 6-12
You do not need to be enrolled in a class to participate in our open gym sessions.
Preschool — Ages 1-7
Monday • Thursday
11:00 - 12:00pm
Preschool/School Age — Ages 1-9
12:00 - 1:00pm
School Age — Ages 6-13
Private lessons are available by appointment. Private lessons can provide extra time to work on specific skills or routines, especially before try-outs or skill evaluations.
General Information for Progressive Program
Registrants after the start of the session will pay $10 additional fee. Members may register for classes at any time; participants may register during weeks 5 and 6. Register at McGrath Family YMCA or online when the Gymnastics Center is closed.
Progressive classes have a ratio of 1:8 for preschool classes and 1:10 for progressive classes.
Attire for Classes
- Girls: Leotards recommended, but not required. Comfortable attire with no tummies showing.
- Boys: Athletic shorts and T-shirt.
- Avoid clothes with zippers, snaps and buttons
- Students may go barefoot; no socks
- Hair must be pulled back.
- No jewelry or gum.
Make-up classes can be scheduled on a space-available basis. Makeups are not guaranteed. Schedule makeups by contacting Mikah Olson, [email protected], or schedule with any instructor. Please be sure to show up only on the day you are registered for classes.
Progressing to the Next Level
To progress to the next level, a student must be able to perform all skills in their current level. Contact Mikah Olsen, [email protected] for a list of skills required for each level.
You may observe your child's class from the viewing area. Parents/guardians are not permitted in the gymnastics center to ensure safety of all.
If you have questions about the gymnastics program or classes at McGrath Family YMCA, call (619) 462-9622.