Explore Digital Arts at Mission Valley Digital Studio
Mission Valley Digital Studio at Mission Valley YMCA offers a learning environment outfitted with high-tech tools for mixing and editing music, developing video projects, creating art and more.
The project is sponsored by Cymer, Inc., the world's leading supplier of light sources used by chipmakers to create advanced semiconductor chips.
Mission Valley Digital Studio provides a safe, out-of-school learning opportunity for students from under-resourced communities. The Digital Studio is the first of its kind in San Diego. It serves as an after-school outlet where local youth can tap into their passions and develop skills in a learning environment outfitted with high-tech tools for mixing and editing music, developing video projects, creating art and more.
The studio features professional-quality equipment provided by Cymer, including a total of 16 computers — HP desktops and Apple iMacs loaded with the latest video editing and music studio software — digital video equipment, and a small music recording studio.
Open Studio Hours
- Monday through Friday from 9:30 am to 7:00 pm.
- Tuesdays beginning April 2 from 3:00-5:00 pm.
- Members may use the desktops, software, and equipment provided by Cymer
Classes and Programs for Youth & Adults
We provide ongoing classes for youth and adults. Check the Program Finder for upcoming sessions. Note: Not all classes are offered at the same time. Topics include:
- Computer Basics: One-on-one, hour-long sessions for ages 18 and older, emphasizing basic computer literacy and troubleshooting your desktop, laptop, tablet and/or phone.
- Social Media: One-on-one, hour-long sessions for ages 18 and older, emphasizing the basics of navigating social media channels.
- Photography: Learn basic principles in this class for ages 10 to 14.
- Photoshop: Sessions available for youths and adults. Learn the basic layout of the program as well as the tools necessary to get you working in Adobe Photoshop!
- Robotics: We offer beginning and intermediate Build-Me Robotics courses children age 8 and older.
- Video editing: Workshops children ages 10 and older.
- Illustrator: Adults and children ages 12 and older can learn the basics of Adobe Illustrator.
"Code Your Future" - New Coding Certificate Program
Next Gen Institute Summer Program
High school students entering their freshman to junior years can spend a summer at Mission Valley Digital Studio making friends, taking on challenges and having fun! Students will learn:
- Digital video and music production
- Graphic and web design
- Valuable workplace skills, including problem solving, resume writing and teamwork.
The eight-week program is free and limited to 20 students. Applications will be available in the spring.
For more information about workshops and the Next Gen Institute, contact: