Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, and Other Jobs in Aquatics!
Start changing lives! The YMCA of San Diego County is the place to begin your career.
Whether you're looking to help save lives as a lifeguard, teach kids how to swim and be safe in the water as a friendly and encouraging role model, or be a motivating and instructive swim team coach, the YMCA has the aquatics job for you!
With 16 aquatic facilities operating year-round throughout San Diego County, our Aquatics Team is passionate about creating a safe and fun environment where the whole family can play, learn, and grow!
Get Certified as a Lifeguard and Swim Instructor at the YMCA
The Y requires continued lifeguard training and certification. If you are already certified or looking to complete your certifications, we have the training program for you!
We also offer scholarships so anyone can be certified, no matter their financial situation.
Classes are offered for first-time lifeguards, returning lifeguards that need re-certification, and lifeguards that are interested in becoming an instructor. Through classroom activities, online learning, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard.
Participants must be able to:
- Be 16 years old or older
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of: front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
- Swim 25 yards of each: butterfly, backstroke, sidestroke, freestyle at intermediate to advanced level.
Check out our training and certification programs below:
Questions? Contact Us
If you'd like to learn more about available aquatic positions or financial aid for lifeguard training, contact Vim Iglesia at [email protected].
We're looking forward to hearing from you!