Disasters are overwhelming, unpredictable and scary. Planning and preparing is the number one way to minimize these fears. Fear can paralyze or motivate. Let’s get motivated!
(Ver en español)
The YMCA Childcare Resource Service, with funding provided by the California Department of Education, will be holding a conference to assist the child care community in being prepared.
Join us on Saturday, March 16, 2019, for a full-day event where you will:
- Learn about varying disasters and how to prepare for an emergency;
- Create your own Disaster Plan; and
- Receive an Emergency Kit* ($280 value) with complete supplies for 3 days for 4 people.
- Earn a certificate for 5 professional hours related to health and safety.
This is a private event for center directors, center staff, family child care providers, friends and families who provide child care. All attendees must have a ticket.
FAQs About the Disaster Aware Conference
- Who Should Attend?
- Why Is This Conference Important?
- When, Where and How Long Is the Conference?
- What’s in It for Me?
- How Can I Reserve a Hotel Room and What Are the Rates?
- How Do I Register?
- How Do I Get My ECE Workforce Registry Number?
- What Should I Wear?
- What Should I Bring?
- Will I Receive a Certificate for Attendance?
- Is Parking Included?
- Can I Bring a Guest or Children?
- Can I Attend the Conference Without Registering?
- What If I Cannot Attend the Entire Conference?
- Can I Receive an Incentive If Registered but Cannot Attend?
- What If Register but Am Unable to Attend?
- How Can I Reserve Exhibitor Space (A Table) at the Conference?
- What Is the Agenda for the Day?
- My Question Is Not Listed Here, Who Do I Contact?
- Child Care Center Directors
- Child Care Center Staff
- Family Child Care Providers
- Friends and families who provide child care
Disasters are overwhelming, unpredictable and scary. Planning and preparing is the number one way to minimize these fears.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- 48% of Americans lack emergency supplies for use in the event of a disaster.
- More than half of Americans have not prepared copies of crucial documents.
- 42% of cell phone owners do not know all their immediate family members phone numbers.
At this full-day conference, the YMCA Childcare Resource Service, with funding provided by the California Department of Education, will help you:
- Learn about varying disasters and how to prepare for an emergency
- Create your own Disaster Plan
- Receive an Emergency Kit with complete supplies for 3 days for 4 people
- Date: Saturday, March 16, 2019
- Location: Handlery Hotel San Diego
950 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108
- Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Interactive day including light breakfast, lunch and snacks
- Create your own individualized disaster plan
- Certificate for five professional hours related to health and safety
- Emergency Kit with supplies for three days for four people a $280 value*
Please Note: Kits will only be distributed to participants who do both of the following:
- Attend the entire day
- Provide an ECE Workforce Registry number
Call the Handlery Hotel at (619) 298-0511 to make a reservation.
Mention "Disaster Aware" while making your reservation to get a discounted hotel rate of $125/night with $15 parking.
Please Note: If you are coming from Orange or Imperial County you will receive information on lodging at the Handlery Hotel on Friday, March 15, 2019.
This event has a $15 registration fee, paid at the time of registration.
Please Note: The ECE Workforce Registry Number is needed to release the Emergency Backpack.
Comfortable business casual clothing including a light jacket or sweater.
We will be discussing disaster planning and providing time to focus on individual disaster planning. Feel free to bring a copy of your current Disaster/Emergency plan.
Yes, a five hour professional development certificate will be provided at the end of the conference.
Yes. When you drive into the lot you will receive a parking ticket — bringing it with you. At the end of the conference you will receive validation for you parking.
No, all attendees must be registered and there are no facilities for children.
No, every attendee must be registered to attend the conference.
This is a full-day conference. If you are unable to attend the entire day CRS is prohibited from distributing incentives (Emergency Kit) due to contractual agreements.
No, if you are unable to attend the conference CRS is prohibited from distributing incentives (Emergency Kit) due to contractual agreements.
Please cancel your reservation (giving another person the opportunity to attend) and submit a refund request. After the event refunds will be submitted.
- 8:00 AM to 8:45 AM — Check-in
- 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM — Welcome and Keynote
- 10:15 AM to 12:30 PM — Session 1 Disaster Preparedness Training
- 12:30 to 1:45 PM — Lunch
- 2:00 to 3:00 PM — Session 2 Facilitated Individualized Disaster Planning
- 3:30 to 4:30 PM — Session 3 Breakouts
- 4:30 to 5:00 PM — Conclusion