Greater Green Bay YMCA Inc.
Peninsula Family YMCA
YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas
GENERAL FUNCTION: The Fitness Director provides leadership and management for the branch Fitness department operations, staff, budget, fundraising, as well as the program and membership experience in accordance with all Greater Wichita YMCA policies, procedures and standards. A 40 hour work week will be necessary to accomplish the assigned duties.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The Fitness Director is responsible for implementing Association policies and procedures by leading and directing fitness operations in the following areas:
1. STAFF DEVELOPMENT
a) Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and manage a high-performing staff focused on providing exceptional service and work well as a team.
b) Develop strategies to provide support and motivation to staff for the achievement of goals and retention.
c) Review and evaluate staff performance.
d) Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
e) Provide progressive customer service and sales training to all fitness staff.
f) Maintain staff retention through positive reinforcement and support.
g) Responsible for safety drills/audits, monthly documented staff meetings/development and trainings.
h) Ensures staff certification records are current and fulfill all in-service standards.
i) Clearly communicate and highly encourage all staff to attend educational fitness workshops offered by the Association.
2. PROGRAM OPERATIONS
a) Effectively communicate the mission, vision and values of the Wichita YMCA.
b) Ensure all programs comply with YMCA standards and methods of operation.
c) Integrate member-service and engagement strategies into all programs to ensure positive member recruitment and retention.
d) If needed, provide personal training up to 12 hours a week for YMCA clients.
e) Build and expand the program enrollment and participation.
f) Keep accurate records of attendance, retention, member and non-member participation.
g) Monitor and evaluate delivery and effectiveness of programs and staff for the highest possible level of quality.
h) Be visible to staff and members.
i) Respond to all member and community inquiries and concerns within 24 hours.
j) Communicate program information, changes and needs in a timely manner to supervisor and branch staff.
3. FISCAL MANAGEMENT
a) Develop, monitor and meet or exceed budget targets.
b) Produce effective and efficient staff schedules within set payroll budget parameters.
4. STRONG COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN | FINANCIAL DEVELOPMENT
a) Provide leadership for assigned aspects of Strong Community Campaign, special events and other fund development to ensure fundraising goals are met.
5. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
a) Maintain complete familiarity with all risk management procedures and policies.
b) Maintain program area and equipment in an orderly, clean and safe condition. Report any irregularities to maintenance personnel.
c) Conduct multiple daily walk-throughs on the fitness floor to ensure all fitness equipment is clean, safe and in working order and engage members.
d) Keep an up-to-date inventory on all equipment, materials and supplies.
a) Serve as a member of the branch management team performing specific duties which support the overall success of branch operations.
b) Communicate information promptly to all branch leadership and departmental staff.
c) Attend applicable training and conferences to further professional development.
d) All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Provide leadership and guidance to ensure the achievement of goals and objectives of the Fitness Department with high levels of participation, satisfaction and retention of members, participants and staff.
1. Minimum age of 21
2. Four-year degree in related field - Exercise Science or Kinesiology
3. Minimum of two years’ experience in a fitness center setting with program development and management
4. Minimum of two years’ experience and proven success managing and developing staff and finances
5. Current personal training certification such as Foundations of Strength and Conditioning for the Y, ACE-CPT, NASM-CPT, ACSM- CPT, ACSM- EP-C, NSCA – CSCS , NSCA – CPT, or acquire within 90 days of hire
6. Current certifications CPR, AED, FA and O2 or acquire within 60 days of hire
7. Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire.
1. Ability to work with a diverse group of people
2. Ability to work accurately at a fast pace
3. Strong communication skills
4. Possess excellent human relations skills
5. Organization, planning and monitoring skills
6. Strong skills in hiring, training and supervising staff
7. Learn all emergency procedures and action plans for the branch
8. Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch. This could include evenings and weekends
1. Visual, auditory and verbal ability to communicate effectively
2. High levels of alertness, concentration and initiative
3. Endure high intensity cardiovascular and strength training stresses on the body for up to one hour
4. Ability to lift 50lbs and stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop/bend
5. Maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times