The State YMCA of Michigan is seeking an experienced camping professional to become the next Camp Hayo-Went-Ha Director. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of administrative and leadership experience in an overnight camp setting and must demonstrate significant knowledge in the field of youth development.
The successful candidate must be able to balance a healthy respect for camp traditions with a desire to innovate and improve all that we do.
This is a full-time, year-round position that requires living on site at an all-boys camp during the summer season. There is a possibility of transitional housing for the first 3-6 months. The salary range is $52,000 - $65,000 based upon experience.
Benefits include paid time off, health/dental/vision insurance, and (when eligible) participation in the YMCA Retirement Fund.
More information about the camp may be found at www.hayowentha.org.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Management, Education or a related field, or commensurate experience.
● Minimum of five years of experience in an overnight camp setting.
● Minimum age 25.
● Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
● Development and oversight of the annual budget.
● Work with other staff to develop, implement and evaluate camp programs.
● Recruit, hire, train, support and evaluate the seasonal staff team.
● Oversee and manage all aspects of camp operation, including food service, health care, office, and maintenance.
● Work with the CEO and Arbutus Hayo-Went-Ha Director on marketing strategies to achieve enrollment goals.
● Ensure compliance with all regulations and standards.
● Oversee all aspects of safety and risk management.
● Support all non-summer programs and activities.
● Work with the CEO and camp registrar to establish and maintain positive communication with the camp community through various means.
● Work as a member of the State YMCA team to grow the organization and support its mission.
● Relationship-building: Creates and maintains authentic relationships while enhancing individual and team performance.
● Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
● Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ abilities to attain the highest level of performance.
● Decision-making: Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify key opportunities, make thoughtful decisions and solve problems.
● Philanthropy: Leads a culture of philanthropy to assist in advancing our mission.
● Leadership: By providing the right example, motivates and encourages others in pursuit of common goals.