YMCA of Southern Maine
Rancho Family YMCA
Coal Creek Family YMCA
Under the direction of the Operations Executive, the Aquatics Director is responsible for the management and operation of the Princeton Family YMCA’s aquatics programs; pool and lifeguard schedules, Red Cross certifications, YMCA swim lessons, competitive swim teams, water aerobics, etc. S/he assists in the development and oversight of the budget. S/he recruits, trains, and develops aquatics staff. S/he oversees program operations at the Princeton Family YMCA and any offsite programming related to aquatics. S/he ensures proper care and use of assets, that the pool is maintained, records are accurate, quality checks are conducted regularly, and all class schedules are comprehensive enough to serve the majority of the membership. S/he successfully promotes and markets programs, special initiatives and events. S/he follows and enforces safety standards and other policies and procedures. S/he participates as member of the Leadership Team and the YMCA Annual Campaign. This is a “non-traditional” work week position and must also be available to work occasional weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
2. One to two years related experience in aquatics preferred.
3. Must be at least 21 years of age.
4. Must have current ARC Lifeguard, Aquatic Swim Instructor, CPR & First Aid Certifications. ARC LGI certification preferred.
5. Ability to manage multiple program areas and tasks within the aquatics program.
6. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
7. This is a non-traditional work week position and must be available to work occasional weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
· Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
· Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities.
· Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
· Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices
· Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
· Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
· Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
· Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
· Assists in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
· Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
· S/he performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Must have current ARC Lifeguard, Aquatic Swim Instructor, CPR & First Aid Certifications. ARC LGI certification preferred.