YMCA of Central Ohio
The YMCA East Hampton RECenter
La Crosse Area Family YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Chief Operating Officer at YMCA of Southeastern North Carolina serves on the CEO’s senior leadership team and ensures successful operation of the YMCA branches. The Chief Operating Officer also positions the Y as a community convener and collaborator to address critical social issues.
Bachelor's degree in human services, business, social services or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
• YMCA Multi-Team Leader certification expected, Organizational Leader certification preferred.
• Eight or more years of professional experience in the YMCA or another nonprofit preferred.
• Knowledge and experience in all aspects of operations, including staff supervision and development, l membership practices, program development and implementation, volunteerism, facility and property management and financial practices.
• Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community; track record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others.
1. Supervises branch executive directors to assure sound operations. Addresses the root cause of systemic issues rather than symptoms.
2. Provides leadership and direction to the branches by coaching branch executives and by providing overall direction to the branch boards and volunteers.
3. Partners with the board and community to ensure the Y is identifying and meeting community needs effectively.
4. Creates organizational policies and structures that remove barriers and foster equity and inclusion for all.
5. Monitors monthly financial reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled.
6. Ensures the operational growth of the YMCA through program expansion, member recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, collaborations, and mergers and acquisitions. Guides the organization to make tough choices about what to stop, start, and continue.
7. Maintains operational safety standards and provides risk management oversight to all aspects of branch operations.
8. Identifies potential areas for branch cooperative programming to accomplish YMCA goals, and works with staff groups to develop and implement programs.
9. Creates effective, sustainable, organization-wide collaborations.
10. Represents the CEO in the community as needed.
11. Supports the YMCA’s charitable mission and serves as a champion of the YMCA’s Annual Campaign as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
• The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.