EEC Certified Lead Teacher: Preschool
West Suburban YMCA
YMCA Preschool Head Teacher - Ecke
Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA
Infant/Toddler/Preschool Teacher - Copley-Price
Copley-Price Family YMCA
The Early Childhood Group Teacher serves as a member of the Montclair Y staff team and therefore should maintain the qualifications for teacher status as listed in the Department of Child Care Licensing policy and through the Montclair Y’s standards. Under the direction of the Early Childhood Head Teacher and/or Director and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the Montclair Y, the Early Childhood Group Teacher is responsible for a variety of instructional, clerical and/or classroom tasks, providing a safe, fun and positive environment for participants. The Group Teacher leads in the education, health, welfare and safety of the members enrolled in their classroom and the center as a whole. The Early Childhood Group Teacher must demonstrate a commitment to the YMCA’s four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
• Greet each child and parent upon arrival.
• Visually scan each child upon arrival and check for illness, disease, or any physical impairment. Note in daily report.
• Demonstrate warmth toward children and set positive example by always using a pleasant and calm speaking voice.
• Comfort children when needed
• Plan and execute instructional lessons
• Accompany children (to playground, and exterior of building) in order to supervise activities such as, outdoor play, and fire drills
• Must be able to set up cots/mats in classroom.
• Reinforce skills by using puppets, flannel boards, manipulative etc. on a one-to-one or small group basis.
• Select appropriate songs and stories
• Read and sing with class on a daily basis
• Supervise fine and gross motor activities indoors and outside
• Plan free play activities/afternoon activities
• Use positive reinforcement
• Assist children in maintaining proper personal hygiene
• Prepare materials for lessons
• Prepare learning center and bulletin boards
• Serve snacks and meals.
• Maintain classroom (i.e. cleaning toys twice a week, keeping toys, books, games in an orderly fashion).
• Record and evaluate children's progress
• Communicate with parents and director any issues regarding child's daily problems/concerns.
• Attend all required meetings
• Complete and maintain of all classroom records.
• Mentor and supervise assistant teachers
• Provide for professional growth by attending workshops and reading
• Perform other duties as requested by Director and/or designee.
• Be fully aware of policies of Geyer Early Learning Center and adhere to such guidelines daily
• Maintain a loyalty to the Y, conduct self with professional integrity, respect the confidentiality of families served, and be an appropriate role model for the children/parents at all times
• Maintain a safe & healthy environment at all times
• Risk/Facility Management: All Staff are responsible for assuring the safety of Y members/participants and for the care, maintenance and safety of the all Y facility/program environments. In addition, all staff are required to report accidents/incidents/emergencies, immediately to Director and/or designee. Staff must also adhere to YMCA confidentiality requirements related to all reported incidents.
• Quality Assurance: All staff are expected to plan, deliver, and maintain quality programs, facilities and program environments. Staff will be expected to follow YMCA best practices for their program/membership discipline and to meet or exceed YMCA of Montclair’s expectations.
• Trainings/Staff Meetings: Attend all mandatory trainings and staff meetings, risk management trainings within the specified timeframes. Keep abreast of current trends in facilities and risk management.
• Communication & Influence
• Developing Self & Others
• Functional Expertise
Pay rate: $20.00 per hour
Benefits include complimentary YMCA membership; accrued PTO; Medical, Vision, and Dental Health Insurance; paid Holidays, enrollment in the Y’s retirement program (must complete 1000 hours within 2 years of service) with 12% of salary contributed by the Y; 100% discount for SACC (before and aftercare), Early Learning Center, and Summer Camp programs in our Y facilities; a rewarding career with professional growth and advancement opportunities; a challenging and fun work environment with creative and talented individuals.