YMCA of the North Shore
Family YMCA of Lancaster & Fairfield County OH
The Director of Youth Competitive Swimming is responsible for the overall tone, direction and implementation of the YMCA of Greater Des Moines youth swim team program and the “Elite” Travel Team based out of the Wellmark YMCA Branch. This position will first and foremost be on deck coaching the Elite Travel Team swimmers. This position will oversee all aspects and personnel of the Swim Team.
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college preferably in education or sports science, ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Minimum of five years (10 full seasons) of experience coaching development of adolescent athletes with either YMCA or USA swimming club.
3. Current USA Swimming / YMCA Coaching Certification credentials.
4. One to two years of experience in related program development and program management.
5. Experience teaching / programming swim lessons.
6. Personal experience being on a competitive youth swim team.
7. Knowledge of YMCA and USA Swimming seasons, meet circuits and time standards.
8. Minimum of one year of experience in a leadership role.
9. Demonstrated computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
10. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA – prior to first day and maintained afterwards.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to talk, listen, sit, use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands. The employee is often required to lift up to ten pounds of weight, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job includes close and distance vision, and may at times require peripheral vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. This position usually works in an office and/or fitness-oriented environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces. This position works a standard workweek, but additionally will often work evening, weekend, and additional hours to accommodate management of program activities and representation of the organization at events.
Current USA Swimming / YMCA Coaching Certification credentials.