YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta Inc.
YMCA Camp Cullen is a best-in-class resident camp facility dedicated to serving youth, families, and other organizations.
The Executive Director oversees the total operation of Camp Cullen including summer camp, conferences/retreats, family programming, camper experience, and team of five Program Directors to ensure the camp remains a best-in-class camping facility dedicated to serving youth and families for generations to come. In addition, the position is responsible for building a robust volunteer board and growing the Community Support Campaign.
YMCA Camp Cullen is a best-in-class resident camp facility dedicated to serving youth, families, and other organizations. Camp Cullen is located 90 minutes outside of Houston in the rural community of Trinity, TX. Nestled among the tall pines on 530 acres along the shores of Lake Livingston, Camp Cullen offers campers an experience of a lifetime with wonders at every turn.
A transformational investment of over $22 million made in 2013 sparked the beginning of a camp to serve children and families now and for generations to come. Due to additional capital donations, the YMCA continues to make ongoing improvements. Camp Cullen features high-quality cabins, a welcoming dining facility with a beautiful waterfront view, and a wide range of activities and amenities including water sports, horseback riding, ropes course, target sports, nature exploration, drama and so much more. In the Fall of 2021, Camp Cullen will break ground on a new Health Center. The Health Center is designed for the challenges of modern-day camp, including efficient medication storage and distribution, quarantine space, and nurse and medical personnel living space. It will also include a café and camp store.
In 2025, Camp Cullen is celebrating its 50th anniversary. For the past 5 decades, Camp Cullen has served children and families from all over the world. Join us as we honor our legacy, connect with our alumni and plan a year of celebration.
If you are a dynamic and innovative camp professional with significant experience in planning, leading, and supervising outdoor and environmentally focused programs with a heart for impacting the lives of kids and families you will want to consider this position!
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in human services, social services, outdoor education, business, or equivalent experience.
- Six or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA resident camp or other recreational camps.
- Ability to direct total camp operations through volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of budget, marketing, and public relations, and program development.
- Experience in management and development of volunteer board involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders.
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong skills in fiscal management and financial development (annual campaigns).
- Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with, diverse populations
- Ability to develop effective relationships and connect with communities across the Houston Y service area through our 21 center locations.
- YMCA Multi-Team or Center Leader certification preferred.
- Must be willing to live onsite at Camp Cullen in provided housing. The Executive Director's home is a three bedroom, two-bathroom stand-alone house built in 2014 on .5 acres adjacent to camp.
- CPR and First Aid certifications may be required.
- Leads with equity and inclusion, ensuring all members and participants feel welcome and are treated with dignity and respect. Builds a staff and volunteer team that reflects the diversity of the Greater Houston area.
- Works along-side leadership and the board volunteer team to co-create a strategic vision for the long-term sustainability of Camp Cullen.
- Creates a strategic vision for the growth of Camp; inspires staff, board, and the community to engage in the vision and develops an annual operating plan to accomplish the vision of growth from 1900 campers in 2019 to 2700.
- Develops camper recruitment/retention strategies to grow summer camp enrollment.
- Creates, launches, and sustains an engaging alumni program.
- Develops and directs high-quality programs and services for children, families, and school/conference groups. Ensures campers and guests receive a high-quality, positive camp experience.
- Coordinates the building and development of the Camp Volunteer Board and committees. Keeps Board connected to broader Association-wide volunteer engagement initiatives.
- Leads a robust Community Support Campaign to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Ensures Camp’s active participation in the Association’s Youth Development Continuum of Care through effective communication and coordination with all YMCA programs, centers and Executives.
- Deepens Camp’s and the YMCA’s presence and impact in the Trinity and Huntsville communities through building collaborative relationships with other [community] organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
- Develops a diverse and enthusiastic camp staff team through hiring, training, supervision, and professional development. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate and retain quality staff.
- Develops, manages, and monitors the camp operating budget and meets or exceeds budget targets.
- Ensures the safety and preservation of high-quality facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Collaborates with the Brand Experience team to refine and implement an aggressive camp marketing and communication strategy.
- Serves as a member of YMCA management and supports the overall objectives of the YMCA.
- Follows all YMCA policies and safety and emergency procedures and processes.
- Report suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
- Follows mandated abuse and incident reporting requirements.
- Meet timelines and deadlines related to supporting systems and employee compliance.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and the community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes have sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.