The Camp Director will be responsible for overseeing and facilitating all aspects of the Camp Clay programs. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: creating safe and quality run programs at Camp Clay in accordance with state and local guidelines. Direct and oversee all staff and staff scheduling at the Camp Clay. Create opportunities for collaboration with local businesses and organizations. Recruit staff, business sponsors, campers, and groups for camp revenue. Facilitate running drills and facilitate lifeguard in-services. Take bookings for rentals and retreats. The Camp Director will also be responsible for overseeing the use of, facilitation of, and maintenance of all watercrafts, waterfront equipment, and buildings/grounds. Plan and track the approved budget for Camp Clay. Plan and facilitate opportunities to grow the Camp Clay program and presence in the community. This position requires guarding on the open water with varied visibility outside and in the elements. This position requires a commitment to working extended hours and days during the Summer season.
- At least 21 years of age and high school graduate or equivalent.
- Associates Degree preferred. Combination of experience and certification may be accepted.
- At least 2 years of experience in a Summer Camp setting or similar experience required.
- Organizational skills to plan, schedule, and facilitate programs.
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision.
- Ability to relate to one’s peer group.
- Ability to give supervision and guidance to staff.
- Ability to lead and/or assist in teaching an activity.
- Ability to plan programs and carry them out.
- Ability to teach leadership skills.
- Ability to teach and role model the Core Values of the YMCA.
- Good character and ability to adapt to camp setting; enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
- Lifeguard, First aid, and CPR certification required, We can train and certify.
- Experience in High adventure activities preferred.
1. Identify and meet staff and program needs.
- Ensure a safe and quality experience during aquatic activities for both patrons and staff.
- Supervise all camp staff during aquatic/camp activities by giving them direction, resources, and leadership.
- Schedule and assign lifeguard certified staff to perform essential functions of all aquatic activities.
- Train lifeguard certified staff in essential functions of aquatic activities and facilitate in-services.
- Supervise campers and staff during Day Camp activities.
- Oversee the facilitation of public swim times, private rentals, and day camps.
- Assumes key leadership role in the off-season at the YMCA of Van Wert County.
- Basic knowledge of creating and maintaining a budget.
2. Carry out camp programs.
- Oversee the use and maintenance of all watercrafts/equipment (canoes, kayaks, inflatables, lifejackets, rescue crafts, splash pad, and zip line).
- Maintain a clean and presentable waterfront that meets all standards set by the Y, Camp Clay, and the state of OH.
- Assume the role of health care provider in the event of accident or injury/Must be First aid and CPR Certified.
- Enforce and update all aquatic rules and procedures at all times.
- Facilitate/oversee all aquatic emergencies and documentation of emergencies and incidents.
- Maintains and cleans bathhouse and changing rooms, camp facilities, and the Concessions/Admissions stand
- Ensures the State of OH health requirements are met for facilitation of the waterfront.
- Maintains all tools and equipment needed for proper facilitation of programs.
3. Fulfill staff administrative roles.
- Must be Lifeguard Certified through the Red Cross or YMCA (or equivalent).
- Ensure aquatic programs and staff follow established guidelines and standards.
- Maintain any and all records and paperwork regarding multiple programs, rentals, sponsorships, etc…
- Recruit and maintain collaborative relationships in and around Van Wert.
- Market Camp programs to ensure growth.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Basic knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office/Google Drive.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader and Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Cultivates trust in others through direct and honest interactions. Interacts in a candid and straightforward manner. Shows a genuine concern for the needs, feelings, and well-being of others, even under stress. Acts with integrity and credibility in all situations. Demonstrates a desire to serve others. Responds to requests, inquiries, concerns and complaints in a timely and appropriate fashion to assure that members feel valued. Anticipates and takes actions to meet the needs of members and community. Knows the name and supports the dream of every child in his or her program.
Collaboration: Actively leads YMCA inclusion and diversity activities, strategies, and initiatives. Encourages everyone to work well with each other, regardless of dimensions of diversity. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Displays ease and comfort with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perspectives.
Operational Effectiveness: Develops, plans, and manages best practices through engagement of team. Demonstrates exceptional organizing skills to effectively prioritize project tasks. Clarifies performance goals and expectations; plans and organizes work responsibilities while actively participating in developing project plans and completing tasks as assigned.
Personal Growth: Makes critical decisions based on sound reasoning and factual information. Consistently makes critical and timely decisions at difficult times and in challenging situations. Manages emotions appropriately and avoids becoming defensive if challenged or asserting inappropriate control when under pressure. Approaches others and addresses sensitive issues, inappropriate behavior, or performance concerns in a non-threatening manner.
First Aid certification
Lifeguard certification (Red Cross or YMCA)
High/Low ropes training preferred
Archery Skills Cert. preferred