YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
Southington-Cheshire Community YMCAs Inc.
YMCA of Western North Carolina Inc.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Fitness Director shall be responsible for developing, implementing, and sustaining all Fitness classes and programming for YMCA members at all locations and the community, supervise daily operations of the fitness department, provide support and guidance to all fitness staff and ensure that all classes and programs achieve quality performance outcomes.
1. 2-year degree and/or education and experience as a manager in the fitness/wellness/group exercise field is required
2. Group Fitness Certification through nationally recognized and/or accredited organizations (YMCA of the USA, ACE, AFAA, ACSM, etc.)
3. Enthusiastic and positive attitude
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills
5. Interpersonal & coaching skills
6. Able to work flexible schedule: days, evenings, and weekends
7. CPR/First Aid Certification within 3 months
8. Ability to relate to key volunteers, staff, and program participants of varying ages
9. Ability to respond to emergency situations
10. A willingness to commit to the mission of the YMCA
1. Develop and implement cause-driven programming that promotes Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. Actively participates in management
2. Develop and implement cause-driven programming that promotes Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
3. Perform excellent service to all members, staff, volunteers and guests.
4. Build relationships by using names and initiating conversations with all members, staff, volunteers and guests.
5. Communicate with supervisor, staff, members, guests, and volunteers in a clear, concise and positive manner while using Listen First skills.
6. Actively participates in management team meetings and committees as assigned.
7. Understands, follows and demonstrates the Y Competencies listed below.
8. Play an active role in the annual campaign, recruiting campaigners and serving where needed on planning committees.
9. Work closely with Department Directors on marketing/promotions to ensure consistent messaging around the Y as a cause-driven charitable organization.
10. Build a culture of philanthropy within your department by building Y ambassadors within your staff/volunteer team, building relationships, and creating a case for support (need/response/impact).
11. Work to ensure a diverse and inclusive culture at the Y.
12. Know and follow the established Human Resources and Business Services procedures of the association.
13. Responsible for assuring high standards of program quality and safety in accordance with YMCA safety and risk management policies.
14. Follow all policies and procedures as set forth in the employee handbook, director handbook, department handbook and the emergency response plan manual.
15. Recruit, hire, train, supervise, develop and schedule all employees and volunteers within your department.
16. Motivate and engage your employees and volunteers to increase retention and understanding of our Cause through regular staff meetings.
17. Lead, direct and/or teach activities/classes for which employees or volunteers cannot be secured.
18. Develop your department’s annual budget; monitor and make adjustments as needed.
19. Complete and approve payroll for your department as outlined in the payroll guidelines.
20. Conduct annual performance reviews on all employees within your department.
21. Collaborate with other directors, Y’s and community groups.
22. Assure your own self-development through reading, research, and conference or training attendance.
23. Act as a positive role model while implementing YMCA character development and following the four core values of Caring, Honesty, Responsibility, and Respect.
24. Perform other related duties as assigned by your supervisor or CEO.
25. Develop, implement, sustain, grow and adapt fitness classes on-site and off-site for all ages.
26. Compile program statistics. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
27. Responsible for assuring high standards of program quality and safety in accordance with YMCA safety and risk management policies.
28. Purchase parts and supplies for department as needed and assist with coordination of equipment maintenance and repairs.
29. Assist with group fitness class coverage as needed.
30. Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
31. Perform community presentations about YMCA programs and initiatives.