YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas
YMCA of Metropolitan Washington
Greater Green Bay YMCA Inc.
GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Senior Program Director/Branch Director, the Fitness Director provides leadership and management for the branch Fitness department operations, staff, budget, fundraising, as well as the program and membership experience in accordance with all Greater Wichita YMCA policies, procedures and standards. A 40 hour work week will be necessary to accomplish the assigned duties.
1. Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling and managing a high-performing staff focused on providing exceptional service and work well as a team.
2. Developing strategies to provide support and motivation to staff for the achievement of goals and retention.
3. Reviewing and evaluating staff performance.
4. Developing strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
5. Providing progressive customer service and sales training to all fitness staff.
6. Maintaining staff retention through positive reinforcement and support.
7. Responsible for safety drills/audits, monthly documented staff meetings/development and trainings.
8. Ensuring staff certification records are current and fulfill all in-service standards.
9. Clearly communicating and highly encouraging all staff to attend educational fitness workshops offered by the association.
1. Ensuring all programs comply with YMCA standards and methods of operation.
2. Integrating member-service and engagement strategies into all programs to ensure positive member recruitment and retention.
3. Providing personal training up to 12 hours a week for YMCA clients as needed.
4. Building and expanding the program enrollment and participation.
5. Keeping accurate records of attendance, retention, member and non-member participation.
6. Monitoring and evaluating delivery and effectiveness of programs and staff for the highest possible level of quality.
7. Being visible to staff and members while at work.
8. Respond to all member and community inquiries and concerns within 24 hours.
9. Communicating program information, changes and needs in a timely manner to supervisor and branch staff.
1. Developing, monitoring and meeting or exceeding budget targets.
2. Producing effective and efficient staff schedules within set payroll budget parameters.
Strong Community Campaign/Financial Development:
1. Providing leadership for assigned aspects of Strong Community Campaign, special events and other fund development to ensure fundraising goals are met.
1. Maintaining complete familiarity with all risk management procedures and policies.
2. Maintaining program area and equipment in an orderly, clean and safe condition; reporting any irregularities to maintenance personnel.
3. Conducting multiple daily walk-throughs on the fitness floor to ensure all fitness equipment is clean, safe and in working order and engage members.
4. Keeping an up-to-date inventory on all equipment, materials and supplies.
1. Serving as a member of the branch management team performing specific duties which support the overall success of branch operations.
2. Communicating information promptly to all branch leadership and departmental staff.
3. Attending applicable training and conferences to further professional development.
4. All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Providing leadership and guidance to ensure the achievement of goals and objectives of the Fitness Department with high levels of participation, satisfaction and retention of members, participants and staff.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum age of 21
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Health-Related Field
3. Departmental experience & Personal Trainer certifications
4. Supervisory experience
1. Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
2. Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
3. Complete CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, Listen First Workshop, Fitness Modules, 4 Week Personal Training , YUSA Online Trainings, Foundations of Strength & Conditioning (of acceptable certification) or ASCM in accordance with Conditions of Employment
4. Possess a clear and complete understanding of exercise science principles, and the ability to apply those principles in a practical wellness atmosphere
5. Learn all emergency procedures and action plans for the branch
6. Understand and abide by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
7. Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch; including evenings and weekends
1. Must be able to routinely perform the following physical activities; climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
2. Must have ability to communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
3. Must possess problem-solving, organizational and task management skills; ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
4. Must be detail-oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
5. Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
6. Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
7. Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
8. Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
9. Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times