Wapakoneta Family YMCA
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
Phoenixville Branch YMCA
POSITION SUMMARY The West Cook YMCA has made a commitment to providing premier fitness programming that enhances individuals’ health and well-being while also fostering connections and building community. The Fitness Professional in coordination with the Healthy Living Team will support the coordination and implementation of all Fitness programming as well as lead efforts for generating engagement and revenue through ensuring enrollment and sales of Personal Training, Yoga, Water Fitness, Workplace Wellness and other Healthy Living Department programming.
The person in this role will drive PT Sales, fitness class enrollment and offer fitness consultations, wellness center orientations, will be the primary instructor for group fitness classes onsite and offsite, conduct one-on-one and small group personal training (PT) sessions, and assist with other Healthy Living programming and Healthy Living related events. Fitness Professionals play a crucial role in helping participants to advance their workout efficiency, improve their fitness level, and most importantly, make strides towards achieving a greater sense of health and well-being.
• Potential annual compensation $34,000 full-time
• Medical and Dental Insurance Plans
• YMCA Retirement benefits
• Life Insurance Policy, Long-Term Disability, and Additional Coverage Options
1. The West Cook YMCA is a mandated COVID-19 vaccine employer
2. Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management, Exercise Science, or a related field.
3. Minimum of 3 years of prior teaching and training experience.
4. Current group exercise and personal training certifications through one of the NCCA accredited programs - ACE, NASM, or another reputable national organization.
5. Knowledge of exercise physiology, kinesiology, safe training procedures, exercise program implementation, contraindications, and proper cardiovascular, resistance, free weight, and related fitness equipment.
6. Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
7. Certification or willingness to receive certification in Child Abuse Prevention.
8. Ability and willingness to respond to critical situations and act swiftly in an emergency.
9. Professional and friendly customer service skills and clear verbal communication skills.
10. Ability to work with all age groups and fitness levels.
11. Strong planning and organizational skills.
12. Willingness and ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
13. Preferred: Experience in yoga, cycle, MOSSA and water fitness
1. Support Healthy Living Team in all aspects of the Fitness Program, including but not limited to sales, enrollment, and interdepartmental coordination to ensure an optimal member experience.
2. Allocation of time will include implementing quality programming, conducting fitness consultations and wellness orientations, sell and conduct a minimum of 8-10 PT sessions per week, and be one of the primary instructors for all group fitness classes as needed.
3. Attend and contribute to all mandatory staff meetings, trainings, workshops, and in-services.
4. Responsible for proper care of the fitness and audio equipment to ensure quality, safety, and a positive member experience.
5. Report all equipment concerns to HL Director in a timely manner.
6. Respond immediately to emergency situations in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Adhere to all guidelines and procedures set forth in the West Cook YMCA Handbook.
7. Perform other duties as assigned by the Healthy Living Director.
• Walking, standing, and sitting (including on the floor) for long periods of time and while maintaining alertness.
• Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids. • Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time
• Lifting and carrying supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Frequent bending, leaning, and kneeling.
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management, Exercise Science, or a related field.
2. Minimum of 3 years of prior teaching and training experience.
3. Current group exercise and personal training certifications through one of the NCCA accredited programs - ACE, NASM, or another reputable national organization.
4. Knowledge of exercise physiology, kinesiology, safe training procedures, exercise program implementation, contraindications, and proper cardiovascular, resistance, free weight, and related fitness equipment.
5. Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.