At the YMCA of Montclair, we strive to be the Employer of Choice, provide World-Class Service, and be the Charity of Choice.
The Family Program Director is responsible for creating fun, adventure-filled, memorable experiences that matter to members and their children. The position will design, operate, & day-to-day supervise, Parents' Night Out, Kids Day Out, family fun day, and any other specific activities/events that benefit family membership in the Y. The Family Program Director is responsible for the association’s family programming calendar and for making connection points with families to increase participation and drive a superior member experience.
Education/ Experience Required:
- Associate’s Degree in child development, education, recreation or equivalent experience preferred.
- Two or more years of face-to-face, hands on interaction with children in a childcare, recreational, or educational setting preferred. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with both children and parents preferred.
- One year of supervision or team leadership required.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and analyze the effectiveness of activities/events for a wide variety of ages required.
- Knowledge of effective childcare principles and practices preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Program Quality and Growth
- Program Events/Activities> Will design, operate, & day -day supervise the Parents' Night Out, Kids Day Out, Birthday parties and other childcare events, and any other specific activities/events that benefit family membership in the Y.
- Develops and provides constant analysis and review of the center family programming calendar, providing activity/event days/time along with compelling descriptions that will drive participation.
- Monitors and documents activity/event performance for future planning.
- Is an innovator for new and unique activities/programs/events/classes based on both solicited and unsolicited member feedback.
Membership Engagement and Retention
- Facilitates member connection and commitment to YMCA programs and services and collaborates with Executive Director, Membership Director and Program Director to ensure the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to YMCA goals for member experience and engagement. This includes:
- Works with Program Director and center leadership staff to implement member retention and outreach strategies to increase member satisfaction and retention rates.
- Provides a visible presence in the center and actively interacts with prospects and members to ensure member and prospect needs are met.
- Increases member engagement and program participation by introducing members to other members, and using member profiles and interactions to tailor suggestions for new programs, services, or activities.
- Engages new family membership units to introduce family programs.
- Proactively identifies and resolves member issues and concerns.
- Administrative > Manages daily business and administrative functions as it pertains to Birthday parties, family funs days, Kids Day Out and Parent’s Night out; along with other assigned events operations including but not limited to curriculum, event planning, reporting, collection, and customer service in adherence to YMCA policies and procedures.
- Training staff > Will assist Executive Director to hire, develop, motivate and retain a committed team passionate about the YMCA’s mission and service to family members. This also includes:
- Assist the Executive Director in collaborative leadership and guidance to peers through association-wide meetings, direct one-on-one best practice sharing with associates both in and outside the center.
- Assists the Executive Director during meetings with member services staff to learn and gauge satisfaction in relation to member services.
- Assists the Executive Director with facilitating regular one-on-one meetings with staff to learn about, gauge satisfaction, and provide career development coaching/training.
- Supports other center programming as needed.
- Completes all job related and other trainings as required.
Safety and Risk Management
- Ensures all Kids Day Out, Parent’s Night out, birthday parties and family fun days standards and best practices are implemented and followed. Applies YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to best practices, emergency procedures, medical and disciplinary situations and child abuse prevention.
- Ensures all, Kids Day Out, Parent’s Night out, birthday parties and family fun days staff are properly trained and prepared for emergency situations. This includes implementing and following training requirements in addition to ensuring proper reporting of all incidents/accidents according to risk management procedures.
- Ensures adherence to all YMCA policies and procedures regarding the safety, health and welfare of members, program participants, guests and staff:
- Greeting all guests as they enter the facility.
- Ensures safety and risk standards to enforce proper check-in procedures are followed for members and guests.
- Monitoring youth activity in the facility.
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to maintenance staff.
- Immediately report any suspicious behavior and violations of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Maintain proper records, including staff member certifications, staff member meetings, trainings and daily logs used for policy and procedure review so that information can be reviewed at any time.
- Schedules Kids Day Out, Parent’s Night out, birthday parties and family fun days staff in accordance to program needs and ensures all safety and program ratios are followed.
- Monitors daily program operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health & safety regulations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Mission Advancement
- Models and teaches the Y’s values.
- Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to improving lives.
- Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives.
- Builds relationships to create small communities.
- Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience.
- Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
- Operational Effectiveness
- Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities.
- Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team.
- Personal Growth
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
- Must obtain within 30 days of employment and then maintain current certifications in CPR, First Aid, AED and Oxygen Administration.
- Must start childcare training within the first 90-days of hire/promotion. All 40 hours of training must be completed within 6 months.
- Maintain other required certifications as stated in the training matrix.
WorK Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job includes, but not limited to:
- The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and authorized work phone/smart device.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants during program activities.
- The employee frequently is required to see, observe, and hear all participants, and make sound judgments and decisions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including, but not limited to, leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Ability to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the program environment, including in the classroom and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Must have flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to lift and move a minimum of 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those subject to extreme humidity/dampness, heat and cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- This position requires reliable transportation and willing to travel, if needed.
This position may require availability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Benefits include complimentary YMCA membership; accrued PTO; enrollment in the Y’s retirement program (must complete 1000 hours within 2 years of service) with 10% of salary contributed by the Y; a rewarding career with professional growth and advancement opportunities; a challenging and fun work environment with creative and talented individuals.
Up to $45,000.00 Salary
Flexible work schedule