Under the direction of the Aquatics Program Director, the Associate Director-Aquatics assists in program planning and operations including all elements of re-opening our 4-lane pool and managing the new 8-lane pool including planning and building staff of lifeguards, instructors, masters coaches and water exercise instructors. Assists the Aquatics Program Director with all aspects of pool readiness for annual inspections and management of both pools. Coordinates with internal areas such as Marketing & Communications, Business Systems, FC Expansion Project, HR & Risk Management and Facilities Management to ensure collaboration and readiness.
Assists with operating of pools and develops, organizes, implements and evaluates the aquatics programs and staff of new aquatics center with a focus on youth development, safety and high-quality aquatics programming. Works with the leadership team to focus on continued program development, innovation, risk management and revenue growth. As a member of the Y management team, the incumbent actively participates in a variety of cross-departmental projects and initiatives that advance the Y mission and strategic plan goals.
- Assist in the planning and developing of high quality aquatics programs to serve our members utilizing our 4-lane and 8-lane pools.
- Participates in the planning and coordination of the full operations of the aquatics center.
- Shares responsibility for full pool operational preparation and planning for programming and member utilization, training classes, facility rental and special events.
- Develops new, exciting and innovative programs and special events, utilizing both the 4-lane and 8-lane pools.
- Assists Director with managing all aspects of aquatics programs, managing private lessons, group lessons, birthday parties and water exercise classes.
STAFF SUPERVISION, LEADERSHIP & DEVELOPMENT
- Assists in hiring, rehiring and reactivating former lifeguard staff and new recruits which includes completing necessary paperwork for Human Resources, appropriate training, onboarding, scheduling and preparing a development plan for all staff to open new aquatics center.
- Assists in the hiring of and Coordinating with staff responsible for lifeguards, safety and program operations
- Leads, coaches and supervises all staff responsible for the delivery of programs.
- Observes staff performance and appraises its effectiveness, recommending appropriate salary recognition.
- Provides continued support to lifeguard training program including acting/facilitating as LGT instructor for scheduled training sessions. Delivers lifeguard training and certification courses to assist with recruitment efforts.
- Serves as a trainer for required department and Family Center certifications.
- Assists in the development of the annual budget and prepares variance and other reports.
- Monitors, manages and approves payroll of direct reports.Provides support with developing and updating procedure manuals for aquatic operations and staffing. Helps with ensuring all EAPs are up to date and regular trainings occur along with the creation of the ongoing training schedule.
- Aids in the monitoring and maintenance of pools; maintaining accurate records.Assists with development and maintaining new pool program schedule, encompassing all program and member needs.
- Creates and updates program schedules with Director for each session. Evaluates program enrollment and accommodates waiting lists. Ensures class rosters are maintained and updated as needed.
- Builds and maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Provides support and leadership for the YMCA’s Annual Campaign.
- Represents the Y at organizational special events and promote the Y as a cause-driven organization that addresses the needs of our community.
- Participates in registrations, open houses, Healthy Kids Day and other YMCA community events.
- Maintains quality working relationships with members, staff, program participants and community members.
- Provide leadership within the Y through participation in committees that support the overall growth and function of the organization.
- Be an integral member of the Family Center staff team, working toward an increase in member growth, satisfaction and retention.
- Assists with other duties as assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.