Mid-County Branch YMCA
Union County Family YMCA
The Aquatic Aid shall be responsible for maintaining the safe swimming conditions of the BRYMCA aquatic facility. He or she shall create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The Y is a leading nonprofit for strengthening the community, and the nation’s larger provider of swim lessons to increase skill and safety in and around the water. This position provides direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for students of all ages in swimming classes.
1. Minimum age of 18.
2. Certifications: ARC Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, YSL Preferred, Y Group Exercise Instructor
3. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA /ARC standards.
4. Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
5. Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
6. Ability to lift equipment and to lift a small to average-sized child.
· Maintains active surveillance of the swimming area.
· Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and training. Completes related reports as required.
· Maintains effective, positive relationships with members, participants, and other staff arrives to work and is ready to take over coverage by the scheduled time
· Knows understands and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pools/waterfront and surrounding area.
· Maintains American Red Cross Lifeguarding CPR/First Aid/AED certification.
· Ensures YMCA’s aquatic safety standards and maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state department health code.
· Monitors daily operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations. Assures rescue equipment is properly maintained and safe for program participants.
· Attends all staff meetings in-service training.
· Support the YMCA mission through staff team support.
· Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, working with the lead swim instructor.
· Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
· Ensures that lesson plans are created and implemented.
· Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules. As appropriate, refers students and parents to other programs.
· Instructs certification classes in accordance with American Red Cross guidelines.
· Builds effective, authentic relationships with students; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA.
· Maintains certifications by communicating with Aquatics Director. Takes any necessary training to ensure no lapse in certifications.
· Is willing to work either as a team or individually.
· Communicates with participants effectively and leaves a class with the appropriate knowledge in course matter.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Employee will take the initiative to assist in aiding development in others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.