YMCA of Greater Williamson County
Florida's First Coast YMCA - Metropolitan
YMCA of Central Stark County
Under the supervision of the Senior Program Director, the Director of Adaptive Sports/Director of Recreational Therapy is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the overall operations of the Adaptive Sports program, including administration, management, marketing, program development of adaptive activities and Special Olympics.
Position Profile / Ideal Characteristics
· Develop and maintain programs that will specialize in the treatment of mental or physical disabilities (i.e.) creative arts, sports, aquatics, adventure programming, dance/movement, community outings.
· Develop and maintain systems designed to enhance quality and efficiency of the program areas. Develop Program Quality Standards and the development of these standards.
· Develop objectives and job plans for coaches and volunteers in each sport.
· Recruit, supervise, train, and evaluate coaches and volunteers to meet quality and performance standards of the Y.
· Coach a variety of recreational sports and complete Special Olympics Coach certification.
· Develop and maintain community relationships with regard to the school system, Pembroke Pines Community, state and national agencies providing services related to programs. Act as a community representative to agencies such as Special Olympics, Miracle League, City of Pembroke Pines, and any other community partners.
· Therapist will work to restore, adapt, and improve motor, social and cognitive functioning of participants.
· Develop and maintain regular communication and relationships with YMCA membership staff, Pembroke Pines Personnel, families, and all other stakeholders.
· Build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in program settings into community settings based upon participant interests. Ensure safety & well-being of all the students and participants.
· Develop and monitor enrollment, payment, and safety guidelines for use throughout the YMCA of South Florida service area.
· Ensure that all programs are maintained and executed within the City of Pembroke Pines contract.
· Prepare annual budget; manage and take appropriate action to correct variances. Responsible for program retention and growth, including marketing and communication.
· Oversee all tasks related to each Special Olympics activities, including paperwork, following rules and regulations, and attending assigned practices and competitions.
· Responsible for maintaining Accounts Receivable.
· Attend all required departmental meetings including Youth Development and Pembroke Pines Family Center.
· Lead Adaptive Sports curriculum development and implementation. Adapt sports and activities by team and individually as needed.
· Assists in the development of Program Guide, flyers, branch and program brochures, press releases and other marketing materials necessary to promote the program within budgetary guidelines.
· Ensure high standards of maintenance, safety and cleanliness in facilities used by the YMCA.
· Report all incidents and accidents within 24 hours to the corporate office via email.
· Adhere to the Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting requirements which mandate by law all child care personnel to report suspicions of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment. The YMCA requires employees to follow the internal reporting procedures with the assistance of the Senior Program Directors.
· Coordinate system for registration and intake at the beginning of each new program/ new season.
· Enhances inclusion programs (where applicable) through program development, design and assessment.
· Responsible for fundraising during Annual Y Campaign.
· Supervise, train, and lead Assistant Director of Recreational Therapy.
· Any additional responsibilities established by Supervisor.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program and fundraising leadership levels.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.