At the YMCA of Montclair, we strive to be the Employer of Choice, provide World-Class Service and be the Charity of Choice.
The Early Childhood Head Teacher serves as a member of the Montclair Y staff team and therefore should maintain the qualifications for teacher status as listed in the Department of Child Care Licensing policy and through the Montclair Y’s standards. Under the direction of the Early Childhood Director, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the Montclair Y, the Early Childhood HeadTeacher is responsible for the overall daily operations of their assigned classroom. The Head Teacher holds responsibility for the education, health, welfare and safety of the members enrolled in their classroom and the center as a whole. The Early Childhood Group Teacher must demonstrate a commitment to the YMCA’s four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Greet each child and parent upon arrival
- Visually scan each child upon arrival and check for illness, disease, or any physical impairment. Note in daily report.
- Demonstrate warmth toward children and set a positive example by always using a pleasant and calm speaking voice.
- Comfort children when needed.
- Evaluate each child's needs.
- Plan lessons/activities in accordance with program goals and needs of children. Submit lesson plans to Director weekly.
- Establish clear objectives for each lesson.
- Maintain a daily report on each child for personal use and parental.
- Set up, and change on a regular basis, new learning centers in classroom.
- Select appropriate stories and songs and incorporate into the daily program.
- Assist children in learning personal hygiene.
- Evaluate student progress and write semi-annual & annual reports on each child.
- Advise parents regarding child's daily progress/problems/concerns.
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences once a year and on an "as needed" basis.
- Provide a "Parent Information" center in classroom to post important notices.
- Select instructional supplies, materials and equipment annually for classroom.
- Maintain a neat and organized classroom.
- Maintain daily attendance records.
- Attend required meetings and assist with activities as requested by Director.
- Provide for professional growth through attendance at workshops, courses and reading.
- Be fully aware of the policies of Geyer Early Learning Center and adhere to such guidelines daily.
- Maintain loyalty to the Y, conduct self with professional integrity, respect the confidentiality of families served, and be an appropriate role model for the children/parents at all times.
- Maintain a safe & healthy environment at all times.
- Supervision of Assistant Teachers
o To be a mentor to your Assistant Teacher(s)
o Teach through example and explanation how to fulfill their responsibilities as it applies to your own classroom.
o Supervise your Assistant and delegate responsibilities making sure they are aware of procedures and any changes that occur on a daily basis.
- Risk/Facility Management: All Staff are responsible for assuring the safety of Y members/participants and for the care, maintenance and safety of the all Y facility/program environments. In addition, all staff are required to report accidents/incidents/emergencies, immediately to Director and/or designee. Staff must also adhere to YMCA confidentiality requirements related to all reported incidents.
- Quality Assurance: All staff are expected to plan, deliver, and maintain quality programs, facilities and program environments. Staff will be expected to follow YMCA best practices for their program/membership discipline and to meet or exceed YMCA of Montclair’s expectations.
- Trainings/Staff Meetings: Attend all mandatory trainings and staff meetings, risk management trainings within the specified timeframes. Keep abreast of current trends in facilities and risk management.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
- Communication & Influence
- Developing Self & Others
- Functional Expertise
- Must possess a CDA and/or an Associate Degree with Early Childhood Education or Child Development
- Must have at least 1 year of teaching experience in a group program for children under six years of age, which may include supervised practice teaching and/or student teaching
- Must possess, maintain and renew CPR for the Professional Rescuer, EPI, Asthma and First Aid within 90 days of hire
Monday- Friday 9am- 6pm
Hourly Pay Rate
Benefits include complimentary YMCA membership; accrued PTO; Medical, Vision, and Dental Health Insurance; paid Holidays, enrollment in the Y’s retirement program (must complete 1000 hours within 2 years of service) with 12% of salary contributed by the Y; 100% discount for SACC (before and aftercare), Early Learning Center, and Summer Camp programs in our Y facilities; a rewarding career with professional growth and advancement opportunities; a challenging and fun work environment with creative and talented individuals.