Inspiring Change through the Power of Play - Lead the Campers of the Future and Make a Difference in Your Community! Executive Director of Camps opportunity for YMCA Camp Duncan, YMCA Camp Independence, and YMCA Family Camp Pinewood.
YMCA Camp Duncan, YMCA Camp Independence, and YMCA Family Camp Pinewood are a part of YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago and offer a variety of fun to all ages and families from the Chicago area, Northern Indiana, Southwest Michigan and from a number of other countries.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading site-based growth and engagement to deliver tailored and informed community-based programming and services. They will oversee the development of community-focused initiatives and outreach strategies that promote the YMCA’s mission and services in the Metropolitan Chicago area.
Budgeted salary: $110,000 annually
Our staff is the Y's greatest asset. Our teams provide valuable skills, knowledge, and passion that is essential to the contribution and positive impact in our communities, which is why we offer Y employees numerous perks and benefits, including:
- Comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees
- Be part of a team that is passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable environment for all staff, volunteers, and members
- Do meaningful work and contribute to the advancement of the YMCA vision by meeting the needs of the people in our communities
- Complimentary Family YMCA membership and an employee discount on select programs
- Career advancement opportunities - grow your career at the Y!
Minimum and Required Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Non-Profit Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in successful leadership and supervision, preferably with some experience in a non-profit or community-based organization.
- Organize and prioritize multiple priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Strong leadership abilities with high EQ to be trusted thought partner for all stakeholders.
- Excellent communication, relationship, and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Proven organizational and project management skills.
Child Abuse Prevention - Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Provide leadership and direction to YMCA Camp Duncan, YMCA Camp Independence, and YMCA Family Camp Pinewood, ensuring alignment with the Association’s strategic plan.
- Develop and implement annual operational plans, including setting programmatic, financial, and engagement goals.
- Serve as a YMCA camp expert on programming, services and innovations to deliver on strategic initiatives that enhance health factors and improve health incomes for all stakeholders.
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships with community organizations including local businesses, schools, religious organizations, cultural institutions, youth-facing organizations, health and wellness organizations, sports leagues, hospitals, and medical centers.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the YMCA Camp Duncan's, YMCA Camp Independence's, and YMCA Family Camp Pinewood's Advisory Boards to achieve fundraising goals and ensure the YMCA is geared to meet community needs.
- Ensure all stakeholders are able to achieve individual and collective results by creating and fostering a culture of collaboration, leadership and support.
- Monitor the community for opportunities for the YMCA to scale programming, outreach, and services while maintaining open and transparent communication with other Association departments.
- Foster a positive work environment and lead staff development efforts.
- Build and maintain relationships with community leaders, donors, and strategic partners.
- Participate in state and local advocacy efforts to best position the YMCA for sustained success.
- Administer and fund the camps' financial assistance programs and ensure equitable and impactful disbursement of assistance.
- In collaboration with the Brand Engagement Team, develop and support the execution of a comprehensive community communications strategy to maximize outreach and awareness of the YMCA’s programming and services.
- Organize and participate in tabling events (i.e. health and job fairs, community and holiday events, etc.) to increase awareness around YMCA programming, services, and initiatives.
- Participate in continuing education initiatives to stay informed of current programmatic initiatives and trends.
- Work closely with the Risk Management to support the implementation of safety standards, including direct assistance and support as requested.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations, as well as YMCA policies and procedures.
Support the development and implementation of operational initiatives and programming designed to enhance equity, diversity, inclusion, belonging, and accessibility across the organization.
- Model psychological safety competencies that expand the abilities of all individuals, enterprise wide, to resolve conflicts and microaggressions in a manner that enhances relationships, understanding of diverse attitudes and values, and abilities to create conditions for speaking and listening with more compassion and empathy.