YMCA of the Greater Houston Area
Downtown Branch YMCA
Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director, the Senior Director of Membership takes a leading role in creating and enhancing a member first culture through influential collaborative teamwork, relationship building with members, staff, and participants, and advocating for enhanced programming that meets the needs of the community. As the key influencer for positive and effective member service, they direct all membership activities for the branch including recruitment of new members, retention of existing members, and supervision of assigned staff to include a Membership Administrative Director and two full time Senior Member Service Representatives. The Senior Director of Membership is also responsible for the strategic oversight of interdepartmental collaboration in an effort to meet strategic goals as they relate to a seamless, premier “member first culture” including branch events, community outreach and awareness, and promotion of the value of YMCA membership and programs.
Benefits of working full-time at GSCY include:
· Bachelor's degree in hospitality management, human services, recreation, business or a related field, or equivalent, preferred.
· Five or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency.
· Proven success as an influencer, a natural relationship builder, and a leader people wish to follow.
· Ability to direct assigned operations including volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, and program development.
· Preference of knowledge and previous experience with diverse populations
· Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
· Supervisory experience in a member/customer service related role required
· Superior leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with staff and interact with membership.
· Must have flexibility in work schedule and expectations to work some evenings and some weekends.
· Excellent organizational, member engagement, staff development, administrative and communication skills
· CPR and First Aid certifications required within 30 days of hire.
· Has solid working knowledge of multiple technological systems, including Microsoft Office, as well as good administrative skills.
1. Champions the needs of members and community with branch Senior Directors to maintain a member first culture that is communicative, inclusive, and innovative.
2. Implements membership strategies that support recruitment of new members and retention of existing members. Creates a member-focused culture and models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves problems to ensure member satisfaction.
3. Direct and monitor strategies to ensure monthly and annual goals are met, including prospecting, tours, sales, cancellations, retention, participation targets, penetration rates and engagement.
4. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules, and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
5. Promotes program and membership enrollment in interactions with members and community. Completes a program registration audit report each session to demonstrate enrollment versus budget goals.
6. Leads the planning of the annual membership budget; manages and implements the approved budget and takes appropriate action to correct variances.
7. Creates innovative, new approaches to the use of technology, systems, and practices that enhance member service and information delivery.
8. Plans, organizes, and executes an annual calendar of membership events at the YMCA and within the community with the purpose of revitalizing membership and strengthening programs to deepen the YMCA’s mission and services to the community.
9. Leads the division’s efforts to achieve the assigned annual campaign goal in staff and member segments.
10. Leads ongoing monthly staff trainings and in-services including focused on service standards, standard operating procedures, safety, and abuse prevention.
11. Acts as the staff liaison on the Financial Assistance Committee with the purpose of reporting on applicant stories, tracking and reporting direct and indirect subsidies, and activating the committee to ensure the financial assistance program is known in the community as a social resource.
12. Ensure a culture of inclusion that builds and celebrates diversity within the Y and the community.
1. Maintain organizational staff certifications. Assures compliance with federal, state and local regulations as they relate to program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate. Ensures that YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed. .
2. Responsible for complying with all Greater Somerset County YMCA Policies and Procedures.
3. Assist with collaborating and building relationships within Branch, Association and community organizations and committee support, in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
4. Actively participate in trainings, seminars, special events, and meetings as required.
5. Represents and promotes the YMCA in the local community and develops positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
6. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community agencies in service delivery area.
7. Serves as a member of YMCA management and supports the overall objectives of the YMCA.
8. Adheres and incorporates the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and educates members about the YMCA mission and goals.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisors.