Somerset Hills YMCA
M.E. Lyons Family Branch YMCA
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Aquatics Director is primarily responsible for developing and leading all aspects of day-to-day operations, which would include implementing high-quality programs in aquatics for youth through senior age groups while ensuring a fun and safe environment.
· Bachelor's degree is preferred.
· Prior experience managing and developing aquatic-related programming is required.
· Previous supervisory experience including hiring, managing and developing staff is required.
· Certifications in CPR-Pro, AED, Emergency O2, First Aid, American Red Cross Lifeguard, American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor, and YMCA Swim Instructor preferred at time of hire or must be obtained from a YMCA-approved instructor within three months of hire.
· Current certifications in all of the above must be maintained.
· Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
· Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
· Hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers on an ongoing basis. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete. Monitors and approves department payroll. Addresses all department staff disciplinary, behavioral, and performance issues and maintains all appropriate written documentation.
· Develops annual Aquatics department revenue and expense budget to meet branch fiscal objectives. Monitors financial reports, completes monthly forecasts, participates in quarterly reviews and makes adjustments as needed to meet plan. Accountable for all aquatics department financial results.
· Maintains the highest standards in pool safety and is in full compliance with association and American Red Cross standards and guidelines at all times. Must achieve a “meets” or “exceeds” on internal and American Red Cross audits each quarter. Maintains all necessary records & documentation for compliance. Conducts monthly in-services along with other LGIs on staff, completes vat drops and zone validations to ensure compliance with internal and American Red Cross requirements.
· Assures a minimum two American Red Cross lifeguard trainings are held at their branch each year.
· Develops and delivers high quality aquatics programs including swim lessons, water fitness, special populations and other programs designed to meet the needs of the community. Ensures all YMCA Swims Instructor certifications remain current at all times. Enters all aquatics programs into “Active” each session and enters Private/Semi-Private bookings as they are scheduled.
· Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local, American Red Cross and YMCA health and safety regulations as well as current ADA guidelines. Along with Central Maintenance, conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance. Enters work orders into Facility Dude as soon as any maintenance issue is recognized.
· Conducts certification trainings as needed to include (but not limited to) lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR.
· In collaboration with association marketing department and other branch staff, aggressively markets aquatics programs in order to meet or exceed department registration goals.
· Serves as Manager on Duty during morning, evening and weekend shifts as assigned.
· Participates as a member of the branch and program management team meetings.
· Assists in YMCA fundraising activities and special events as needed.
· Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints within one business day.
· Compiles program statistics.
· Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
· Participates with the staff team to ensure that target goals for annual membership & staff satisfaction surveys are met.