At the Y, we strive to offer a chance at a healthy life to all members of our community.
Our offerings in this area range from fitness, to recovery, to nutrition, and programs for the whole family. Our Group Exercise instructors are highly trained to provide those seeking a healthy lifestyle with a safe environment and effective exercise programs.
The Regional Group Exercise Director (RGXD) is responsible for the growth and success of group fitness programs within a selected set of branches within the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas Association. This position is responsible for overseeing an average of 200 group exercise offerings weekly within a regional area of 3-5 branches to be determined based on acceptance of a final offer. Region covered will be based on candidate's preference.
The RGXD oversees and executes scheduling and format selection, ensures quality in instructors and format delivery, provides budget ownership, and upholds payroll approvals and policy for multiple branch locations. This position reports directly to the Association Group Exercise Director (AGXD).
This position will oversee 3-5 assigned branches in the Dallas Association, one of those branches will be assigned as a home branch.
Primary Position Duties and Responsibilities
Group Exercise Instructor Management and Communication
- Operates as the direct report to Group Exercise Instructors teaching classes in their region. Communicates with clarity, discernment, and courteousness to instructors. Ability to resolve instructor conflicts while adhering to YMCA policies and procedures.
- Recruits, hires, and trains instructors and utilizes HR policies and procedures.
- Organizes and delivers continuing education and development for instructors.
- Performs evaluations for group exercise instructors and provides constructive feedback and coaching.
- Leads and demonstrates proper technique within group exercise formats.
- Trains staff on audio-visual equipmentusage. Ensures and demonstrates proper use of studio equipment by instructors.
- Ensures instructors keep group exercise rooms organized, clean and safe. Reports issues and replaces equipment to certify delivery of safe programs in group fitness.
- Oversees and approves instructor payroll for their region.
- Assists and facilitates procuring coverage for classes on the sub board.
- Assures instructor compliance to YMCA requirements of annual CPR/First Aid and Child Abuse Awareness.
- Certifies accurate class metrics are documented by instructors through MindBody.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to step in and teach a class on occasion.
Group Exercise Department Development
- Provides clear communication with ongoing support to the AGXD, Executive Directors, Vice Presidents of Operations, Membership Directors, and branches within their region.
- Communicates effectively to all levels of staff and leadership in the Association.
- Provides dynamic programming in partnership with Executive Directors, VPs, Membership Directors, and other program areas to deliver quality and accountability in class offerings at the branches they oversee. Ensures offerings are in line with Association standards and best practices. Evaluates programming and provides changes as needed.
- Supports branches with timely and professional communications with members regarding concerns, complaints, class offerings, and class cancellations.
- Leverages the latest technology to ensure an enhanced/seamless member experience. Recognizes how trends, gaps, and community issues impact a schedule and derives solutions to execute successful offerings that positively affect member retention.
- Evaluates formats, vendors, and licensing for programs with Association Director.
- Upholds group exercises policies and standards while executing them consistently across our Association.
- Manages labor budgeting for their region.
- Ensures growth of group exercise attendance through accurate reporting on MindBody and continues branch growth through attention to participation/penetration metrics.
- Holds responsibility for group exercise equipment, sound quality, and equipment inventory.
- Ensures implementation of new formats, policies, and communication are completed successfully.
- Acts as the main point of contact for quality control of the group exercise department for regional branches assigned.
- Assists in all group exercise events and special programming for branches such as Annual Campaign and other special events.
- Collaborates and provides support to the Regional Group Exercise Director team members.
- Candidate must have strong communication skills and be able to deliver feedback in a constructive manner.
- Must be able to analyze data, have excellent presentation skills, use Excel, MINDBODY, and other office applications.
- Must show an ability to multitask, have strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to collaborate with different levels of leadership.
- Extensive knowledge of group exercise and the fitness industry.
- Must have ability to teach several group exercise formats, must know how several certification classes are taught, must be able to work a flexible work schedule.
- Must be able to travel across the DFW metroplex 80% of the time.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and stand for extended periods of time
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
- Two years’ experience in group exercise leadership is preferred with previous management experience in overseeing group exercise in multiple locations.
- Holds current group exercise instructor certification(s).
- Ability to implement and uphold group exercise policies
- Experience in leading and delivering multiple project initiatives in group exercise
- CPR/First Aid training will be provided and must be completed within 60 days of being hired. Certification is an annual condition of continued employment with the YMCA.
- Knowledge of programming for Active Older Adults
- Success in leading large part-time staff teams of varying experience levels.
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
- Holds multiple group exercise instruction certifications and/or specialized group exercise format certification(s).
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Long & Short-Term Disability, Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan, Supplementary Insurance (Cancer/Accident/Critical Illness), Employee Assistance Plan, Free family membership, Discounts on Y programs including summer camps, enrichment classes, youth sports, childcare and more! Eligible to enroll in a 403(b) tax deferred account at beginning of employment. 12% paid by the YMCA upon meeting eligibility requirements. (PTO) Paid time off based on hours worked and years of service. Training and leadership development opportunities. Employee referral awards of $100 and up.