YMCA Camp Carter serves over 1,400 campers each summer through its week-long day and overnight camp sessions filled with fun and adventure. The Assistant Program Director of Fun will report directly to the Camp Director and is the primary staff responsible for the smooth running of all camp activities; its job duties are focused on the scheduling of activities and ensuring programs are being delivered consistently and in accordance with the standards and curriculums set by YMCA Camp Carter. The Assistant Program Director of Fun will work with Day and Overnight Camp Unit Leaders to coordinate schedules for all activities and programs to be delivered for all campers on site daily, which can reach 250 or more children daily.
Dates and Times: The Assistant Program Director of Fun must be available from May 13, 2024 through August 10, 2024. Day Camp Staff Training will be held May 13th - May 24th and attendance is mandatory; the Assistant Program Director of Fun will also participate in and assist in delivering the Overnight Camp Staff Training held June 3rd - June 14th.
Room and Board will be provided; the Assistant Program Director of Fun must live on site for the duration of the summer.
This position pays $500/week before taxes
- Must be at least 21 year of age
- Preferred 3+ years of experience in education, camping services, outdoor recreation or working with children 5-16 years old.
- Sincere interest in and ability to work with groups of campers ages 5-15, as well as parents and staff of diverse ethnic populations.
- Ability to work as a team member with counselors and adult staff members.
- Ability to multitask, self-motivated, and dedicated to Camp Carter's success.
- Working at Camp does entail physical requirements that can include prolonged standing, hiking, walking long on uneven terrain and a variety of environments and weather, the ability to lift up to 40 pounds, and other physical activities.
- Must be willing to work with daily exposure to sun and heat. YMCA Camp Carter does have heat protocols for days of extreme heat.
- Well-developed leadership, communication, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Basic knowledge of technology.
- Adult, Child, and Infant CPR/AED and First Aid, certified within 30days of hire. Training provided by the YMCA.
- ACCT Level 1 Certificate and/or Lifeguard Certifications are not required, but are a plus for this position; alternatively, the willingness to obtain such certifications during staff training if available.
- Prior to the summer and in partnership with the Camp Director, plans and prepares for the summer. Planning will include but is not limited to developing curriculum for camp activities and programs, determining the structure of camp days, recruitment of campers and staff, planning any camp trips, preparing rosters for activities or cabins, planning camper rotation schedules, assisting with camp marketing, and planning and preparing for staff trainings.
Program Development & Delivery:
- Responsible for all programming of all FUN! This means the APD of Fun is responsible for developing and implementing curriculum for Camp Carter's daily activities and programs for day and overnight camps, which include the following areas of awesome:
- Challenge Course: high and low ropes courses, team building activities and initiatives.
- Lake & Pool Swim
- Outdoor skills: fire and fort-building, survival skills and more
- Sports and Games: soccer, kickball, gaga ball, quidditch, zorb ball and more
- and more...
- Supervises and monitors program quality throughout the day, every day. Provides constructive feedback to counselors in delivering programming in line with YMCA Camp Carter guidelines. Feedback will be provided informally throughout the summer and more formally through midsummer and end-of-summer evaluations.
- In partnership with the head lifeguard, ensures that the pool facility is being maintained including proper chemical levels.
- In partnership with the Head of Ropes, ensures that the Challenge Course is properly maintained: all equipment is inspected prior to use, equipment is pulled from use as necessary, rope logs are maintained for accurate rope counts, and any other measures are taken to ensure safety on the challenge course.
- Ensures that program supplies are maintained; coordinates with the Camp Director to replenish inventory when necessary.
- Reports any maintenance or repair needs to the Facilities Director.
- Design and plan evening programs, including CRAZY campfire, closing campfire, evening embers, unit nights and activities, morning meeting, CREW nights/outpost/drawing, meal entertainment and music, magic moments for units, all camp games, afternoon activities, cabin and dining hall sets/transformations, sets/props and camp magic.
- Assure all paperwork is accurately kept including but not limited to: rosters, staff schedules, program supply logs, program usage logs i.e.: challenge course, archery, fishing, slingshots, archery tag, laser tag, program shed, sports equipment, riflery, and the nature center.
Scheduling and Camper management:
- Develops and maintains schedules for all camp programs and all camp participants. Schedules will include: time of activity or program, which staff is responsible for any necessary setup, which staff is leading, and which campers are participating in the activity or program.
- Maintain a current headcount, ratios and rosters of campers in each activity and program area daily for both day and overnight camp.
- Oversees and coordinates the Camp Activity Fairs for Overnight on Sunday nights.
- Ensures constant supervision of campers and maintaining ACA-compliant ratios of campers to counselors.
- Embody and model Camper and Guest first experience mindset.
- Lead by example, be a team player, have a can-do attitude and willingness to jump in whenever and wherever needed. This includes delivering programs if needed.
- In partnership with the Camp Director, assists in facilitating regularly scheduled camp staff meetings and leadership meetings throughout summer.
- Support counselors in program areas, content, and lesson plans. Maintain presence within programs daily and help to prepare for the following week's success by preparing schedules, rosters, and program plans.
- Act as the Master of Ceremony for the CRAZY Campfire every Sunday night during overnight camp programs.
- Communicate with counselors their responsibilities and tasks for evening program, organize necessary supplies for evening programs, provide any supporting materials or guidelines for evening programs (i.e. the rules for an all-camp game). Provide support in delivering and coordinating evening programs.
- Supervise and engage with campers and ensure their safety, development, growth, skill development, achievements and well-being.
- Ensure cleanliness of camp, program areas, cabins, unit areas, dining hall, rec hall and all other areas of Camp Carter property.
- Assist in maintaining program records, incident/accident reports, logs, daily check-in and attendance.
- Knows and understands all emergency procedures, protocols associated with Camp programs.
- Attend mealtimes as requested and ensure campers are adequately supervised; assist with dining hall procedures.
- Represent YMCA Camp Carter in a professional and positive manner while on and off camp property.
- Work with your Friends - Text them the link to this pave now!
- Build Your Resume: Working at Camp develops skills that apply in any number of future career fields - learn leadership and decision-making skills; how to communicate with kids, parents, coworkers, and other of various backgrounds and life experiences, hard skills like how to shoot bullseyes with an arrow, tie-dye like a true artist, and run a zipline; or obtain certifications including lifeguarding. Camp Counselors achieve great things on and off camp - just ask former First Lady Michelle Obama and former Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who both served as camp counselors.
- Free Gym Membership with the YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth with access to other YMCA facilities.
- Opportunities for growth: In addition to personal growth through learning hard and soft skills, there are opportunities for continued employment with YMCA Camp Carter of the Fort Worth YMCA year-round.
- Community Involvement: YMCA Camp Carter has been a vital part of the community for over 75 years.