YMCA of the Greater Houston Area
This is a great opportunity to help lead a 4,500+ membership over two branches in our dynamic, mission-focused association committed to aggressive growth and excellence. This position, in partnership with the branch leadership team, will direct efforts to increase member sales and engagement at the YMCA of Marquette County. The Membership and Marketing Director, under the direct supervision of the CEO, is responsible for implementing ongoing tactics to engage new and returning members, creating sales opportunities outside of the Y facility and will build and directly supervise the membership department team. The Director has the responsibility for the development and implementation of the overall marketing strategy including branding, communications, budgeting and public relations in order to support YMCA leadership, while strengthening the mission of the YMCA of Marquette County. Strong organizational skills are a must.
The Membership and Marketing Director takes an active role in the branch’s Annual Campaign, including volunteer and donor cultivation. Relationship building with members, potential members and the community is a high priority, as is the impact it has on member retention. Incumbent must have the ability to lead a team of peers and personally connect members to the Y and each other. This individual should possess leadership skills necessary to successfully communicate and engage with co-workers, members, associates, volunteers, donors and the public.
This is an opportunity to join an energetic, mission-oriented team committed to improving health and strengthening community through youth development, health living and social responsibility. The YMCA of Marquette County offers enrichment and networking opportunities throughout the YMCA movement.
• We seek proven skills in membership development, marketing, financial development, fiscal management, program development, volunteer development and community partnerships. Candidate must be able to nurture a high-performing team of staff and volunteers focused on relationship-building and member involvement.
• Bachelor's degree in marketing, human services, recreation, business or related field, plus two or more year’s related experience or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
• Two or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA.
• Ability to direct assigned operations including volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations and program development/management.
• Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with membership recruitment and/or retention programs
• YMCA Team Leader or Multi-Team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
• CPR, First Aid & other program specific certifications required upon or after hire.
• Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule.
• Excellent problem solving, organizational and communication skills
• Strong leadership and excellent customer service skills
• Ability to set the standards for and model exceptional member service and build a culture of member involvement and engagement in all staff
• A positive, can-do attitude and the ability to work creatively and independently or as part of a team
• Sound judgment and decision making as well as problem solving and interpersonal skills to relate to people of all socio-economic levels and diverse backgrounds
• Ability to provide facility tours, travel locally to meetings and stand for many hours at a time
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software, and Adobe products.
• Demonstrated expertise in the concepts, practices and procedures related to the fields of marketing and communications.
• Demonstrated expertise in website content management systems and web analytics tools.
• Attention to detail and the ability to synthesize complex ideas into coherent, compelling case statements and communications materials.
• Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Uphold the mission of the YMCA, and demonstrate behaviors that reflect a determined, nurturing, genuine, hopeful, and welcoming nature.
• Model the YMCA character and values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility through your actions and conversations with members, and communicates our image using the Y’s Voice of Genuine, Nurturing, Hopeful, Welcoming, and Determined.
• Implements membership strategies that support recruitment of new members and retention of existing members.
• Creates a member-focused culture and models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
• Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves complaints, questions, and concerns with care.
• Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules, directs, provides back up, and evaluates staff and volunteers.
• Develops and directs high quality member engagement strategies and programs which support branch and association mission, goals and strategies.
• Promotes program and membership enrollment in interactions with existing and potential members.
• Coordinates program registrations, including logistics to support walk-in and web registration.
• Demonstrates a commitment to the charitable work of the YMCA and accepts a leadership role in the activities and events of the YMCA Annual Campaign.
• Participates in the planning of the annual budget; manages and implements the approved budget for membership and takes appropriate action to correct variances.
• Provides administrative support to the executive director and program staff.
• Widespread/accurate interpretation of the purposes of the YMCA of Marquette County to the community.
• Growth and retention of existing members and program participants
• Programs and departments feel supported by the marketing department, and place a high value on the services provided.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supervise 8 – 10 PT staff and 1 FT staff.
• Successfully operate an annual membership and marketing budget of greater than $800,000.
• Provide peer leadership to ensure the total membership experience.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
• Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
• Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
• Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
• Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.