Coney Island YMCA
Dowd Branch YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Health and Wellness Director will develop, organize and implement high-quality wellness programs for the YMCA.
1. Bachelor's degree in exercise science, recreation, business or a related field,
or equivalent, preferred.
2. Minimum two years management experience overseeing wellness, group exercise, personal training programs essential, YMCA experience preferred.
3. Experience in program planning.
4. Requirements within 30 days of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff; Working with Program Volunteers; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens.
5. Excellent problem solving, organizational and communication skills
6. Strong leadership and excellent customer service skills
7. Ability to set the standards for and model exceptional member service and build a culture of member involvement and engagement in all team members
8. A positive, can-do attitude and the ability to work creatively and independently or as part of a team
9. Sound judgment and decision making as well as problem solving and interpersonal skills to relate to people of all socio-economic levels and diverse background.
10. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
11. Strong organizational skills, computer and communication skills, ability to maintain good member and team members relations
12. Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills
13. Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
14. Completion of YMCA program-specific certifications.
15. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
1. Implement wellness, group exercise and personal training programs that promote retention of existing members and engage new members. Direct and engage team members to support health and wellness initiatives to achieve retention goals.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules, directs, provides back up, and evaluates team members and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates team members performance. Develops strategies to motivate team members and achieve goals.
3. Establish new program activities and expand programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. This includes creating, implementing and scheduling health and wellness programs and classes both inside the Y’s facilities and outside areas in our 6-county service area. Teach classes as needed.
4. Ensure proper implementation of floor schedules and procedures to provide maximum opportunities for member/team members connections. Collaborate and work effectively with all departments to achieve desired results.
5. Identify and employ best practices in systems and technology to support effective management of the Wellness department. Utilize available technology, reporting tools and data that enhance wellness participation and member retention.
6. Establish systems for regularly scheduled fitness equipment inspections to ensure proper and efficient working order at all times. Coordinate with Maintenance Director to ensure equipment maintenance and repairs are performed timely. Recommend and purchase equipment, parts and supplies by the purchase requisition process. Recommend equipment mix that will best serve members’ needs.
7. Monitor daily operations to adhere to all YMCA health and safety standards and policies. Ensure all team members are current with required certifications.
8. Create and implement wellness and lifestyle programs, personal training and group exercise participation through product knowledge and interactions with existing and potential members. Collaborate with department leads to maximize enrollments in program registration.
9. Model relationship-building skills in all interactions. Respond to all member and community inquiries and concerns with 24 hours.
10. Compile program statistics. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in classes and programs.
11. Recruit, select, develop and retain appropriate skill depth level for the department. Supervise, engage, develop and mentor department team members. Support training and succession plan for team.
12. Provide leadership through established performance goals and standards, regular assessment of team members performance including annual performance evaluations and team members meetings.
13. Participates in the planning of the annual budget; manages and implements the approved budget for membership and takes appropriate action to correct variances.
14. Ensures programs are fiscally sound including monitoring accounts receivables for NSF, returned items, and other financial issues and correcting them when needed.
15. Assist and take a leadership role in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
16. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with community organizations.
17. Prepare and coordinate evidence-based grant proposals from private foundations, corporations, Y-USA and government sources.
18. Market and promote Wellness department offerings and events through a variety of mediums.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Bachelor's degree in exercise science, recreation, business or a related field,
or equivalent, preferred.