YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta Inc.
Greater Austin YMCA
YMCA of Greater Birmingham
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Serves as a member of the President/CEO’s senior leadership team, providing strategic leadership in financial development to advance the YMCAs mission through annual giving, government and foundation grants, endowment bequests and gifts, capital campaigns and providing strategic leadership to attract, develop and retain the best available talent. Oversees the development and implementation of talent management/ human resources policies, plans and services, including recruitment, selection, legal compliance, employee benefits, compensation, employee relations, diversity and inclusion, employment practices and procedures, employee communications and events. Assists the CEO in developing an actively engaged fundraising volunteer board of directors, and in positioning the YMCA as a “charity of choice” for the investment of donations within the local community. Performs management tasks in support of the annual Easter House fundraising project.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
2. Eight or more years of professional experience with a background in fundraising in the YMCA or another nonprofit preferred.
3. Ability to relate to top community leaders and diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
4. Working knowledge of giving and charitable vehicles.
5. Ability to create interpretive materials to enable potential donors to understand the YMCA and how they contribute to the achievement of its mission.
6. Knowledge of the media and its use in gaining exposure for YMCA events and programs.
7. Foundation and government grant writing expertise.
8. CFRE or equivalent preferred; YMCA Organizational Leader certification preferred.
9. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
1. Directs and coordinates all aspects of association capital development, annual campaign, Easter House project, and endowment programs.
2. Serves as primary staff to the Financial Development Committee and other assigned committees of the Board of Directors. Develops strategies to increase volunteer involvement at all levels of financial development.
3. Develops processes and is actively involved in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects. Maintains database resource file on top community leaders.
4. Develops systems and manages resources needed to carry out the fundraising plans. Establishes and monitors the financial development department budget for the YMCA.
5. Develops appropriate fundraising policies and procedures for the association.
6. Tracks all gifts and pledges by source and purpose and provides reports as needed.
7. Provides training in fundraising. Educates, motivates, and provides feedback to individuals related to best practices in the fundraising process.
8. Develops communication plans to ensure members, participants, and the community understand the case for support.
9. Solicits, establishes, and ensures positive relationships with contributors of products and services, secures incentives and gifts for project; develops and maintains rapport with existing and potential donors.
10. Administratively assists with construction and/or project vendors as necessary.
11. Represents the association as required by the President.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Ys mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invest resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage andhumility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Eight or more years of professional experience with a background in fund raising in the YMCA or another nonprofit preferred.
Working knowledge of giving and charitable vehicles.
CFRE or equivalent preferred; YMCA Organizational Leader certification preferred.
Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.