The Primary position of Camp Wrangler is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of both horse and rider that focuses on the YMCA core values of caring, equity, honesty, respect, and responsibility. Emphasis will include the involvement of horsemanship maintenance and horsemanship education. Horsemanship duties include daily feeding, horse training, grooming, watering, manure removal, trail maintenance and documentation of horse health care records. Horsemanship program responsibilities include monitoring riders' safety, teaching horse riding curriculum, while guiding student engagement throughout the program.
· Minimum age of 16 (Preferred 18+)
· Must have general knowledge of horsemanship and care of livestock.
· Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper horseback riding techniques.
· Experience caring for and riding horses.
· Adult and Pediatric First Aid & CPR/AED provided by YMCA or other certified organization.
· Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities with all age levels.
· Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
· Strong organizational and communication skills.
· Experience facilitating horseback riding lessons and/or trail ride. (Preferred)
· Must be capable of carrying loads of up to 90 pounds and able to traverse hilly and uneven terrain without undue exertion.
· Work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
· Perform essential program support to camp activities and programs which may include, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead, crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at ground level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach and/or back.
· Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
· Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoor in different climate.
· See and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
· Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Equity
· Be an appropriate role model for all participants.
· Work with camp team to support the care of camp participants and manage behavioral challenges appropriately. Notify Camp Counselors, camp leadership or parents when necessary.
· Additional duties may be assigned, as necessary.
Horseback Riding Instruction
· Lead safe riding experiences for individuals of diverse ages and riding abilities.
· Develop lesson plans and activities for horse camp and riding lessons.
· Provide instructions to participants and support staff for all aspects of the equestrian program.
· Guide & direct participants in a variety of camp activities and teach activity skill development.
· Always ensure the safety of all participants while meeting their individual needs.
· Be alert to program safety factors and potential hazards; prevent accidents and minimize or eliminate hazardous situations; report any problems or hazards to the Equine Manager or Program Director.
· Know, adhere to, and enforce all YMCA rules, policies and emergency procedures.
Horse Care & Maintenance
· Feed and care for horses, alert the Equine Manager/Program Director if there may be a need for outside medical attention or the farrier.
· Assist in the maintenance of barn and tack.
· Assure all activity equipment is properly cared for, returned where it belongs and reported to Equine Manager if replacement is needed.