This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The YMCA Camp Lakewood Cabin Counselor is responsible for the general welfare, safety, and supervision of the campers we serve. They monitor the camper's morning and evening activities, as well as instruct other campers throughout the day during clinic areas. Counselors are held accountable for acting as mentors and role models for the campers. Cabin Counselors should be focused on helping the camper make informed decisions that provide the optimal result in any given situation while allowing the campers to grow by letting them experience new things in an educational, safe, and positive environment. The Cabin Counselor’s role is to assist the campers in making those choices, and coach the camper to help them improve.
Full Compensation Package (when applicable):
- 403(b) Retirement Savings
- Retirement fund of 10% per pay period after completing 1,000 hours of service during any two 12-month period.
- 20% Discount on tuition at Missouri Baptist University
- 20% Discount on Tuition at Fontbonne University
- Free individual membership to YMCA nationwide
- Discounts on YMCA programs
- Discounts on YMCA Childcare
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be pursuing or have earned a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Lifeguard and CPR/AED Certification preferred.
- Responsible for overseeing the cabin units. Cabin Counselors will live in the cabins with the campers and
- must exercise good judgment and competence in the implementation of policy and standards, which will
- result in increased public regard toward the Y.
- Assist with check-in and checkout of campers.
- Ensures proper maintenance and upkeep of Camp Lakewood grounds and facilities paying special
- attention to cabins areas both inside and out.
- Assist campers in set up of cabins and bunks.
- Responsible for selecting and communicating lost camper and cabin meeting spot.
- Assist in coordinating programs including clinics, swim test, campfire activities, meals and all other
- Ensure timely arrival and departure to and from all scheduled activities.
- Ensure safety in all programs and report all incidents in a timely manner.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Gateway Region YMCA strictly follows a zero tolerance policy regarding child abuse.